Spica TC-50 Opinions or Measurements?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I became interested in the Spica TC-50s when they first came out and my brother mentioned that they used a delay derived, linear phase crossover network. I had been designing and building first order speakers around this time and was highly interested in the Spicas. Eventually got interested in buying a pair, but then came across Vandersteen 2Ci's locally, at a good price used, and bought those instead. This was over 15 years ago, and I recently picked up a pair of Spica TC-50i's locally. The i's were a later revision with newer Audax drivers and a very small opening in the felt around the tweeter. This site offers good background information:
http://spicaspeakers.com/repair/spica-overview.htm

I did this study a few years ago, to get a better understanding of the design, after I found the crossover schematic published on the internet:
http://members.aol.com/basconsultants/sptc50_ovr.htm

My TC-50 web pages need to be redone, perhaps someday when I get motivated.

The point of this post is that I'm highly surprised by the sound of these speakers and before stating my opinion, and potentially biasing others, thought I'd ask what others think.

Pete B.

Opinions

Well I don't listen much these days, but there was a time when I spent a lot of time listening to the TC-50's.

Briefly:

Imaging, remarkable. On par with electrostatics.

Sound stage large and precise.

Bass: lacking, needed a sub.

Sound Quality/Tonal neutrality -- humm on this one I have to say the Spicas had a sound of their own. It wasn't objectionable by any means, but I woud'nt call it neutral.

I love listening to small jazz groups, and chamber music on the Spicas. When listening to voices, especially close mic'ed jazz vocals it could be mesmerizing. Violins and Chellos also were remarkable.

In my opinion, these speakers don't do large orchestral pieces or rock groups well. Although some well recorded, live rock performances could transport you to the front of the stage.

Spicas sound is slightly tilted up (bright) and with the wrong electronics can be harsh. I preferred them to the Vandersteins of the day, and found Thiels 2.2 provided a similar experience.

I use a tube front end (modified AR-3A) and a transistor amp. I started out with a Electron Kinetics Eagle 1A and later moved to a McCormack Signature DNA .5. Thorens 125 turntable. Currently with a Grado cartridge, I think I may have had the best sound when using a Blue Point Special.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.