How to "fix up" these speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
I just wrote a new thread if those Opus 3 speakers are any good. No replies there yet, but i still wonder, on a general basis.

These opus speakers are in concrete. They are painted white, but are in very poor condition atm. i think.
What would be the best way to fix them up? Besides fixing the broken base/foot/stand at the bottom (see picture in link).
Of course straightening out all bumps and uneven areas first, but to finish it off, should i use paint og iron-on veneer?
I see drawbacks on both techniques. Paint won't be as smooth as wanted and veneer demands some steady hands, eyesight and good patience.
Is there any good step by step guidelines or "manuals" on doing a good paintjob and a veneer finish?

I know im a newbee in this so don't be afraid to reply, even the silliest answers. They might not be silly to me :)

treat this like body shop work because that is what it is! I would say that you can build up the damaged areas with fiberglass and auto body filler. after the entire cab is sanded as smooth as you want then you can begin to finish. With a smooth primed undersurface, patiently applied paint can provide a wonderful surface. As for veneer; it is waaaaaaayyyyyyy easier than people make it to seem. if you woodwork is good (not an issue for you), and the material is dimensionally stable, veneer should be almost like cheating it looks so good with so little effort. use generous amounts of good contact adhesive that is even and well dried. when this material is on the veneer and the cab it should only be able to stick to itself. at this point you can use spacers such as wood or cardboard strips to separate the veneer from the cab; they shouldn't stick. now you can begin bringing the veneer together with the cab. be careful because when the two surfaces meet they will bond instantly. work from a corner and leave no air bubbles.

in my humble opinion, anyone who says veneering is hard kind of fails as a woodworker.

I like your opinion tade, it's a good sound one.
lurer, I think I would restore them to their original condition, if nothing against. Are you more to one way or the other?
They don't look like concrete (it looks more like plaster). It can be a mix 50/50.
It also can be white cement. Usually it is not that smooth. Maybe is only in the outside as for paint. I don't know the technique but I guess we can get there.

Thanks for the reply. The reason why i asked you guys is because you have the experience.
If it is cement or not i am not 100% sure. The guy havent answered my email yet.
I think it would be best to then repair all damages and veneer on top. I hear people say its easy, so im beginning to belive that hehe.

If i manage to come out with a good result or not, time will tell, but i think ill buy the speakers anyway, just to get the experience. Noone has commented on them so i dont have any knowledge of the sound so i need a good listen before i buy them.

Thanks, ill be back on the subject if i buy them :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.