Which dB @1M/1Watt Constitutes 100% Efficiency?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Friend has a pair of old Cerwin Vega PD-3 PA speakers which need midranges-not just diaphragms, there is a hole where the midranges used to be.

Found out the midrange on this model is the Cerwin Vega H25.

Looking at the frequency response, which I found here, I noticed that this unit seems to be putting out 112 dB @ 1M/1Watt.

Chart is reproduced below.

Win ISD will not allow simulations above 106 dB at 1M/1 Watt.

Small's chart for bass response tops out at 112 dB at 1M/1 Watt.

Seems to me this chart shows the Cerwin Vega, through part of it's band, as being either 100% efficient or 400% efficient, 6 dB meaning 4 times the power. Even 100% efficiency seems far fetched, 50% efficiency is superb.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

Attachments

• cerwin vega h 25.gif
    cerwin vega h 25.gif
    42.7 KB · Views: 501
This is dependent upon the radiation pattern of the device. Remember, when you measure 112 dB you are measuring the intensity (power per unit area) at that point, not the power being radiated by the device. The reference intensity I_o is 10^-12 watts/m^2, and SPL is given by

SPL = 10*log(I/I_o) = 120 + 10*log(I)

so if you have 1 watt of full space radiation you get

SPL = 120 + 10*log( 1w / 4pi ) = 109

or in half space you get

SPL = 120 + 10*log( 1w / 2pi ) = 112

If, for a rough approximation, you treat the device as if it has uniform axisymmetric radiation with an exact beamwidth of x degrees, then the area radiated over at 1 m is 2*pi*(1 - cos(x/2)) so the SPL for 1 watt of radiation is:

SPL = 120 + 10*log(1 / 2*pi*(1 - cos(x/2)) ) = 120 - 10log(2pi) - 10*log(1 - cos(x/2)) = 112 - 10*log(1 - cos(x/2))

A couple sample values:

BW SPL
360 109
180 112
120 115
90 117.3
60 120.7

I hope this helps

Nolen

Conrad Hoffman said:
Rybaudio- I started to do the same calc, but got lost right at the beginning. How do you get from the 0dB level of 0.0002 dynes/cm^2 to watts/cm^2? There's something really simple I'm missing!

I guess that Rybaudio was using approxmate value of 10^-12 W/m2 right away as it is commonly used in calculations like this.

I found following http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_power
P=(A*p^2)/Z
Z is the acoustic impedance of air, at +25c about 410 (Pa*s/m)

SPL 0db reference level of 20uPascal translates then to 20u*20u*1m2/410 =0.976pW/m2 which rounds up to easy 10^-12 W/m2

If the loudspeaker has 100% efficiency and if it is fed with 1W of electrical power, the acoustical power will also be 1W. This power is distributed over a sphere, in this case we look at a radius of 1 m.

If the loudspeaker is omnidirectional and radiates in full space, the power will be evenly distributed over the surface of 4 pi m², and the intensity will be 1/(4*pi) W/m². This corresponds to a sound intensity level of 10*log(1/(4*pi*10^-12))= 109 dB.

If the loudspeaker instead radiates in half space, power is distributed over the surface of the half sphere, which is 2 pi m², and the sound intensity level becomes 10*log(1/(2*pi*10^-12))= 112 dB.

Other directional patterns can give higher levels, in theory infinitely high (well...).

kelticwizard said:

Win ISD will not allow simulations above 106 dB at 1M/1 Watt.

Small's chart for bass response tops out at 112 dB at 1M/1 Watt.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

Hi,

Svante's post explains 112db/W/1m, what about 106dB/W/1m ?

IMO this is due to the fact maximum efficiency of a speaker by definition is
when the air loads match and this give a maximum acoustic efficiency of 50%.

Which = 106dB/W/1m into half space = Win ISD.

:)/sreten.

Re: Re: Which dB @1M/1Watt Constitutes 100% Efficiency?

sreten said:

Hi,

Svante's post explains 112db/W/1m, what about 106dB/W/1m ?

IMO this is due to the fact maximum efficiency of a speaker by definition is
when the air loads match and this give a maximum acoustic efficiency of 50%.

Which = 106dB/W/1m into half space = Win ISD.

Hmm... Interesting thought. But I wonder, is this really the maximum efficiency that is possible? Or does it, theoretically speaking, correspond to the acoustic load that would maximize the acoustic output of a given driver?

These are slightly different.

Hi,
is this really the maximum efficiency that is possible?
I suspect that when the acoutic load presented by the horn is good enough to match the driver + cable resistance then the bandwidth will be restricted.
If the acoustic load is increased any further then bandwidth may become very restricted.
driver efficiency was dismal, like a couple percent
yes, the driver on it's own is dismal. When mounted in a conventional box it drops even further to a few tenths of a percent.
But mount it in a properly designed horn and the numbers go the other way.

AndrewT said:
Hi, I suspect that when the acoutic load presented by the horn is good enough to match the driver + cable resistance then the bandwidth will be restricted.

Ah, well , my line of reasoning is completely away from normal loudspeakers and horns. I mean, horns can at best reach 50% efficiency, but I was wondering if a higher efficiency at all is possible. Like, if we change the medium from air to water or if we go to ultrasonics or something like that.

My sensation is that if we get the acoustic impedance to dominate completely, 100% efficiency is the theoretical maximum.

...even though this is very, very far from possible in practice with normal speakers or even horns. And bandwidth is not a concern at all in this.

Hmmm........

Wouldn't a theoretically perfect massless diaphragm constant charge (how does that work with a massless
diaphragm) push-pull electrostatic with super conductive transformers with super magnetic cores hit 100% ?

That is act as a perfect capacitor except for the losses, which are all acoustic ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.