Bandpass Enclosure & Baffle Step

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I was playing around with the Tang Bang 6.5" Neo Subwoofer in a bandpass enclosure (Unibox). I am curious to how baffle step plays into this type of enclosure.

I am guessing that most of the output is produced by the port and if the port is on the front baffle (pointing towards the listener), then the port acts as a driver and has the same baffle step? If the baffle is small enough, the raise in response should be outside the operating range, correct?

Therefore, the output from Unibox would be ~ 6 dB lower then predicted?

Attachments

• bp_tb.gif
    bp_tb.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 136
69stingray said:
Hello everyone. I was playing around with the Tang Bang 6.5" Neo Subwoofer in a bandpass enclosure (Unibox). I am curious to how baffle step plays into this type of enclosure.

I am guessing that most of the output is produced by the port and if the port is on the front baffle (pointing towards the listener), then the port acts as a driver and has the same baffle step? If the baffle is small enough, the raise in response should be outside the operating range, correct?

Therefore, the output from Unibox would be ~ 6 dB lower then predicted?

Yes, the baffle step will affect the response just as if the vent was the driver. For the frquency response, this does not matter much, since the baffle step typically affects the response above ~200 Hz.

However as you say, if the software predicts the level in half space and neglects the baffle step, it will predict a level that is 6 dB too high. This is true not only for bandpass systems.

Now I don't have the parameters for your system, but using a another BP design and a baffle of 40 by 40 cm the difference could look like this with and without taking the baffle step into consideration:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.