Audax HD3P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Jabiru, why don´t you try reading below message one more time it is all in there.(?) AWG32 is a very thin wire. You´ll get at least 90dB sensitivity with this air-transformer.

So, here goes. What you´ll need is AWG24 emanelld copperwire for the primary (inner)winding and AWG32 for the secondary. You´ll need about 6 meters off AWG24 to get
@0.5ohm primary input DC resistance and you´ll need about 262 meters AWG32 to get @141ohm secondary output DC resistance. At the input you should add .68ohm in series with the transformer to (-)input as well as a 4,7uf in series to the (+) input. At the output you should have 1,5 kohm resistor in series with the tweeter (very important to use this resistor otherwise you may melt the diaphragm on transient signals ). Use 5W wirewounds in both cases. The bobin should be 15mm in diameter and 15mm in height.
Good luck and Hear you!

Ok, reduce input series resistor (0,68ohm) to zero and the output series resistor to 470ohm. In parallell with with the transformer primary winding a RL series network consisting of a resistor 0.12ohms and a air coil at 0.13mH. The input series capacitor should be 2.7uF for @7400Hz. This gives you 96dB sensitivity with the above mentioned and original transformer. That is all I can contribute you with, the rest I leave to you and others.

Audax HD-3P Datasheet

Audax HD-3P (1999) Datasheet for the information of all.

Attachments

• Audax HD-3P.jpg
    Audax HD-3P.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 276
Hi, so on your advice and additionally putting a 0.24mH inductor with a 2uF capacitor across the lowther to cut frequencies above 7500Hz the honest truth is I am unable to hear the difference. The HD3P's are audible close up but in the normal listening position disappear - but maybe that is not a bad thing. In any case now the tweeters are mounted they will stay and actually ( in my opinion ) look quite good !

Hi, so on your advice and additionally putting a 0.24mH inductor with a 2uF capacitor across the lowther to cut frequencies above 7500Hz the honest truth is I am unable to hear the difference. The HD3P's are audible close up but in the normal listening position disappear - but maybe that is not a bad thing. In any case now the tweeters are mounted they will stay and actually ( in my opinion ) look quite good !

Where did that advice come from?

HD3P

But on the 8th April you said " Ok, reduce input series resistor (0,68ohm) to zero and the output series resistor to 470ohm. In parallell with with the transformer primary winding a RL series network consisting of a resistor 0.12ohms and a air coil at 0.13mH. The input series capacitor should be 2.7uF for @7400Hz. This gives you 96dB sensitivity with the above mentioned and original transformer. That is all I can contribute you with, the rest I leave to you and others. " - Original transformer - so no I did not wind a new transformer !! I assumed making the changes above would raise the output to 96dB ??

I personally reinflate my tweeters HD3P using a vacuum cleaner (!)
I know it seems strange but it works. (I think a similar process were used on the manufacturing)

The principle is to apply a vacuum on the front side so that atmospheric pressure fills the cavity of the speaker when the cap is withdrawn to the rear.

I made a simple box with two openings for the front and a connection for the vacuum hose,
To reinflate the LS you simply place them on the two openings of the box, diaphragm down, rear screw removed, you gradually turn the vacuum on until the maximum speed, and you retighten the two screws with a dough to seal.

Advantages of the method:
- The pressure of speakers is not too high, equal to the depression of the vacuum, always less than 1 atm
- The pressure is the same in the two tweeters.

Hope it helps

FP

Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi versus full vacuum. Seems like that could bust the diaphragm. So care is recommended? Someone recommended 1 or 2 psi. inflation pressure. Maybe you had leaks with this method which avoided too much vacuum pressure drop, or not a strong vacuum cleaner? I'd like to know what method was used to seal the diaphragms against the holes in the box.

Care should definitely be taken here when using a vacuum cleaner, otherwise the diaphragm might "implode". The mylar is very strong much stronger than for instance household plastic but of course it has its limit. Use some sort of leakage (hole) or motor regulator for the sucktion strength when the vacuum is applied.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.