What's it called?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you have a set of speakers with front and rear chambers and a plate amp on the back along with a woofer and a 3 way on the front as seen in the picture, is that known as a bi-amped 4 way or does it qualify as a 3 way 2.2 system? Does the .2 necessarily indicate a separate cabinet for each woofer?

EDIT: the front midbass has a high pass filter on it.

Curious Cal wants to know. :)

Attachments

• img_5023.jpg
    img_5023.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 222
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Just to display my ignorance; if the front mounted midwoofer has a high pass filter, does the plate amp have the usual High/low second order filter and is the high pass on the midwoofer a single cap or is it more complicated than that??
Nomenclature seems to depend on who builds it.
I have always thought that my towers were just nonstandard three ways but in another forum I was told emphatically that had to desribe them as a 4wayby one person and 3.5 way by another: is there a convention we should be working towards??
ted

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal,

It is a biamped 4-way.

In an x.5-way system an even number of (usually identical) woofers of mid-woofers with half of the drivers covering the range up to the next driver (mid or tweeter) and going all the way down. The other half (0.5 driver(s)) of are crossed over below the baffle-step to fill in the BS loss. XO on the 0.5 unit(s) is usually 1st order.

A 2.2 system would refer ro an HT system with Left & Right and 2 subwooders feed LFE channel(s)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.