ScanSpeak 4" midrange (12M_4631G00) Distortion Tests

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have not seen these published so thought I should share them.

Zaph has some of the larger ScanSpeak revelator sliced paper cones but not this smaller 4" midrange.

I will leave it to the viewer to interpret the results.

It was referenced to 90dB/1m@1KHz. Two samples were tested and both were extremely similar so there is good matching between the drivers.

467383528_d1176b0a6d_o.jpg

I also took some measurements of the Hi-Vi RT1.3 isoplanar ribbon tweeter.

Click

This is a rather nice tweeter for use above 3.5KHz. It offers very low disto as you can see but it also means you have the choice of a ribbon-like dispersion pattern. Maybe good for a MTM layout? Consider that this tweeter costs about £15 each inc.VAT and we are really talking :D

467546018_a8fa36d23d_o.jpg

Oh yes, the other reason I really like this tweeter is that it has a completely flat impedance. So it will work with text-book crossovers.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
Yeah, the ATC has VERY impressive disto specs. Not bad CSD either. But it is more expensive isn't it? Also it simply isn't suitable for the project I have in store.

The ATC is more expensive, by a factor of around 2.5.

The 12M lacks the copper in the motor of its bigger brothers which explains why its a departure from their good performance.

The SS and ATC both only look comfortable to 500hz. So I think their purpose and optimum passband are similar. The SS has more displacement but I think thats somewhat academic given the data.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Shin, how can you say that 12M lacks the copper short rings

Looking at impedance on 12M amd 15M, they look very similar to me, hard to tell any differense at all, be it 12M, 15M or even 15W and 18W

I use 15W, and as far as I can tell, its not distortion that bugs it - I use a series xo inductor of about 0.3mH with RC and notch, and I have coated the dustcap very lightly with bitumen

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
tinitus said:
Shin, how can you say that 12M lacks the copper short rings

Looking at impedance on 12M amd 15M, they look very similar to me, hard to tell any differense at all, be it 12M, 15M or even 15W and 18W

I use 15W, and as far as I can tell, its not distortion that bugs it - I use a series xo inductor of about 0.3mH with RC and notch, and I have coated the dustcap very lightly with bitumen

Taken from Johns test conclusions of the 12M:

Comments: This is a midrange specific driver. It is relatively sensitive at just under 90dB, but it's 4 ohm impedance is responsible for this. This uses the Revelator slit-cone design to control breakup and present a respectably flat and extended response. On the other hand, the motor construction lacks the copper faraday rings of it's larger siblings and has higher nonlinear distortion as a result. Still it's not too bad, and easily usable as a very wide range mid driver. Value is extemely low - this midrange would be worth about $50 to me.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/smalltest/

If, like you say, the 12M does have copper in the motor then Scan need to take a look at why it isn't doing much good.

For more confimation see Marks test of the 12M too.

I'm happy with the 12m

ShinOBIWAN said:

The ATC is more expensive, by a factor of around 2.5.

The 12M lacks the copper in the motor of its bigger brothers which explains why its a departure from their good performance.

The SS and ATC both only look comfortable to 500hz. So I think their purpose and optimum passband are similar. The SS has more displacement but I think thats somewhat academic given the data.

The 12m does lack the ring, but my understanding of the 12m design is that due to it being a neodymium motor, the designers did not see the need for a faraday ring after extensive testing and auditioning.

The 12m is my current favorite mid. I've been using it at about 350Hz LR2 for quite some time and have no desire to switch to anything else. Another reason I like it is that it also does 3K LR2 easily. I think that too much attention is being paid to some specific measurements without having any listening experience with it. It also mates well with a good 10" driver that most domes can't do. It does very well with the 25W/8565.

Consider that when highpassed at 12db, the displacement will stay constant from the Fc point down. 350Hz isn't a problem for it.

The ATC would be nice to try, but the price is too steep for me.

dlr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.