A/B different crossover sections HD 2/4

A digital PA type electronic crossover with memories is a good workhorse, because slopes and filter types can be quickly changed as well. The choice of crossover frequencies, slopes and filter family can is a subjective judgement that isn't easily made from a measured frequency response (though of course it is still important in optimising the design with the chosen frequencies).

Creating a passive crossover that accurately mimics an electronic one is problematic. Nevertheless I have found an electronic crossover a quick way to find a good compromise for the crossover frequencies between drivers based on perceived quality (freedom of coloration and harshness, etc) and then implementing the passive design around those frequencies. It is important not to push tweeter frequencies too low for the power handling required.

A digital PA type electronic crossover with memories is a good workhorse, because slopes and filter types can be quickly changed as well. The choice of crossover frequencies, slopes and filter family can is a subjective judgement that isn't easily made from a measured frequency response (though of course it is still important in optimising the design with the chosen frequencies).

Creating a passive crossover that accurately mimics an electronic one is problematic. Nevertheless I have found an electronic crossover a quick way to find a good compromise for the crossover frequencies between drivers based on perceived quality (freedom of coloration and harshness, etc) and then implementing the passive design around those frequencies. It is important not to push tweeter frequencies too low for the power handling required.
Do you have one to recommend?
M

I used to use one for that purpose when I was designing loudspeakers professionally, but that was a couple of decades ago. These days everything is done in DSP boxes and my knowledge isn't current. Probably something like a Mackie SP260 or Peavey VSX 26e. Search for loudspeaker management processors.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Thanks, but you can't A/B profiles instantly, the card takes time to update and change the settings. maybe adjustments while listening also have a delay especially to set the crossover point, I need to edit both the high and low cut on each driver
any other tip?
There aren't any (AFAIK) of the DSP solutions that can change profiles instantly. But, a few seconds should not be problematic.

Dave.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi, there is solution to do this but you'll need to use your multichanel card and invest in a software Manu:

https://accuratesound.ca/
Afaik there isn't hardware solution to do this ( even my Lake doesn't offer this kind of seamless switching).

In fact with Mitchba software you could even get away from passive filtering and do everything an hardware management system could do ( including FIR for xover duties and 'room corection'... it is Acourate compatible ). This is by far the cheapest way to do all this i know of ( and as you already own multichanel card...).
If i didn't already have my dsp i would go this way without hesitation ( with good multi chanel converters, like Halo, Antelope or whatever is the flavour of the moment... ;) ). .

Ps: i've seen your mail but hadn't spare time to answer recently... i'll answer asap.

Last edited: