MiniDSP with resistor for Full Range with dual 18?

I am building a Lii 15 with dual 18s per side in open baffle. I would like to use a MiniDSP HD or DIRAC, but I am not sure if it is going to work. I think I will cross the 18s at about 100hz, and would like a subsonic limiter on them too. I think it would work better to have one 18 20-100hz and the other one 20-60hz. The 15 would take it from 100hz up.

My question / Could I do this with the MiniDSP 2x4 if I used a resistor to limit the one 18 to under 60hz? Would it cause issues with the measurements? Is there a better way to go here? Could I use 2 MiniDSP's? In that case, I would want to use the leftover 2 outs for a center channel. Could the unit manage controlling just the one 18 from L/R and also the Center?

I hope the questions are clear, and I would really appreciate any advice!

You have adjustment in the input and output, that should be fine you can deal with all filters and shelfs in the settings

I currently run 3 seperate subs from the Mini DSP with separate PEQs and delays driven them from LFE and also add to my fronts using the filters and shelfs on the input, db level adjustment there as well in and out by channel

If you have 4 subs they can be EQ'd and time aligned separately and volume adjusted by channel

Thanks!
It is hard to imagine how something will work before you have it in your hand. I guess since there are 6 drivers all together I'd have to run dual woofers on the one and two channels and the L and R full range on three and four. But the tip about input and output is good!

One thing I am looking at and have had confirmed is to use a 10x10 HD this has 8 analogue in 8 analogue out and in between you can EQ, configure each channel in and out with a full matrix of paths. Its like a bigger 2x4 with a little bit more functionality for crossover use etc

My next step is 3 subwoofer outs (all EQ'd and time aligned on the outputs, in exactly the same was I do with my Mini DSP 2x4HD) then feed it with LFE in (No EQ as the EQ is set on the Sub outputs) then feed each surround channel L,C,R,SL,SR,RR,RL in and EQ the inputs so I will add additional filters to reduce the to out put of the other channel. I will run parallel signal cables to avoid sending any channel other than LFE through the A>D D>A unnecessarily. This will mean I will effectively EQ the bass by adding another filter on the parallel input so that the subs just add the missing frequencies and run all channel large. The signal will also go direct to the to the 7 channels at the same time not through the A>D D>A for anything other than additional bass

I will effective have each 8 inputs driving the 3 subs outs and trim/EQ each input

Here is an example of what I ave done with the fronts using the spare input channel on the 2x4. Set to large no subs - blue, set to large with subs connected and adjustments made to the input so the subs used with this channel just fill in the missing low frequencies

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-24 at 17.09.40.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-24 at 17.09.40.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited: