Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 27th May 2019, 06:01 PM   #1
JimKMB is offline JimKMB
diyAudio Member

Default Advice about miniDSP's plate amps

Just registered, I need help with direction and have limited tech skills.

I have 2-way Swallow Active speakers (from the UK in early 1980s). The built-in electronics have failed and repair is not cost-effective. The cabinet is a 32-inch floor stander with about two cubic feet in volume. The speakers have a sloped baffle. Drivers (all renewed) are Dynaudio D28 tweeter and Dynaudio 21W-54 8 inch woofer.

As a first step, I replaced the active crossover, power supply and amp boards with a passive Dayton 2000hz crossover and am using an old Sony amp. The result is a clear but slightly cool presentation with limited sound stage. Id like to aim for a bigger sound stage with good imaging and more warmth and emotional grab.

I know I can reach my goal but at a price through home trials of two-channel amps.

But here Im questioning if I can succeed using miniDSP PWR ICE plate amps. Can I get close to that warmer sound? Will tweaking the xover frequency help? Is the PWR ICE amp competitive with what I can try off the retail shelf? Or at least fit for the purpose I have?

Appreciate opinions and any experience you may have with the plate amps. Thanks in advance.

Advice about miniDSP's plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!