Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 4th October 2018, 04:34 PM   #11
Rivers is offline Rivers
diyAudio Member

Getting the 2x4 HD and then upgrading is a great suggestion Magnus! Thanks!
Old 4th October 2018, 07:10 PM   #12
soorb77 is offline soorb77  Sweden
diyAudio Member

No worries, glad I could help
Old 9th October 2018, 06:30 AM   #13
Rivers is offline Rivers
diyAudio Member

Hello Magnus, I asked MiniDSP about the signal chain and this was their response. Do you have any thoughts about it?

As we mentioned above, we still find this chain a bit “peculiar”.. :-) Adding more element to a chain doesn’t always lead to better response. To us USB audio to DDRC-24 (USB – > DSP – > DAC) is the best path. We’re not sure how you’d get any better by doing USB – > DAC – > ADC – > DSP – > DAC… The guitar path is a different story I think. That’s fine I think.
Old 11th October 2018, 02:05 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I think what they mean is that, if you want to listen to music direct from your computer, the Fiio X3 is unnecessary because the minidsp can play directly through usb and act as a DAC to your monitors. That said...

The Fiio X3 can also act as a DAC, but is first a portable music player. So this may be confusing why you want to play music through it from the computer when you have the minidsp. It is always better to have shorter chain so nothin gets downsampled or gets a latency (delay). But If you, as the first question asked was, want to use the minidsp´s room correction filter with the Fiio X3 to play music saved on it (this is more logical, an example, maybe you have some music saved on it that you don´t have on the computer), then I don´t know how you manage that by not connecting as you have pictured on that end. But skip the USB from computer and maybe just use it as a portable music player and not as a DAC through your computer?

Maybe put the jitterbug instead in this chain. PC<>USB<>jitterbug<>USB cable<>Sound card>>

And Fiio X3 in this chain. Fiio X3>>Audio cable>>Sound card>>

And Minidsp digital chain. PC<>USB<>USB cable<>minidsp

And Minidsp analog chain. Sound card>>Audio cable>>minidsp>>Audio cable>>

The minidsp must be put last before your monitors if you want the room correction filter to apply to them.

I will draw a "chain schematic" if you don´t understand the above

Best of luck/Magnus
Old 11th October 2018, 04:05 AM   #15
Rivers is offline Rivers
diyAudio Member

Hi Magnus, do you mean have seperate chains running in parallel? When you say sound card do you mean the Behringer UMC204HD Audio Interface?
Old 16th October 2018, 09:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Rivers

Sorry I haven't answered earlier, been out of town for some days.

Yes I think the best way is to run chains separately.

Yes with the sound card I mean your audio interface.

Hope this clears up things

Best/Magnus
Old 3rd November 2018, 06:39 AM   #17
Rivers is offline Rivers
diyAudio Member

Hi Magnus, I decided to go with the the PC -> MiniDSP DDRC-24 -> Behringer UMC204HD -> Speakers.

The MiniDSP has RCA outs, I was checking the Behringer does not seem to be able to accept RCA connections? Looks like it can only take USB inputs? Do you have any idea how could I go about making the connection?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rivers; 3rd November 2018 at 06:42 AM.

Connectivity options for a MiniDSP DDRC-24 to my monitor speakers?Hide this!Advertise here!