Standalone DSP for portable speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Until recently I was determined to get the normal miniDSP 2x4, but after just reading a couple of the threads on this subforum, I realised that it's probably not the best, NOR the cheapest (I need to import it to Denmark)

So what do you think I should get instead. It needs following functions:

• Run either 5 or 12v (Or both :D)
  • Have a compressor (Need it to max output on my speaker)
  • Need atleast 5 PEQ's
  • Atleast 2 inputs and 3 outputs (Can do 2 outputs but would prefer 3/4)
  • Ability to make specific crossovers on indiviual channels

What do you think I can go with? - I have heard good things about: Sigmastudio w/ Adau1701 processor, but haven't looked into it yet. If you can recommend that chip, I'd go with it. Then I can add a bit of bass-enhancement as well :)

It's for a portable speaker consisting of a tham12 + two satellit speakers (10" + 1" coaxial or 2x8" + tweeter)

Thanks!

Hi,
imo, ADAU has everything you mentioned, I personally use some locally designed pcb for adau, but I imagine many flavors of dev pcb's will work the same.

• runs +5...36v
  • sigma studio has variety of effect blocks and of course the compressor is included
  • 2 adc inputs
  • 4 dac outputs (up to 12 possible)

The major drawback of adau1701 for me is the major pita if you want to expand inputs to use analog _and_ digital inputs. Also some quirks with gpio.

It's great dsp if you plan to use only adc inputs.

Last edited:
Minidsp 2x4 is the cheapest of the Minidsp line that can do what you want. And if that is not good enough, maybe better not ask on their forum?

anyway, feel free to remove this or move the whole thread, nanodsp is (also) based on the ADAU1701 and has basically the same funcionality as the minidsp 2x4 (at least comparing both superficially).
Nano DSP is a flexible audio DSP board with 2 inputs..... - HTF Electronics, We Help Create Your Imagination!

Well. I saw a few "What is better than the miniDSP 2x4-option", so I reckoned it was fine enough.

And I'll leave the thread here

Hi,
imo, ADAU has everything you mentioned, I personally use some locally designed pcb for adau, but I imagine many flavors of dev pcb's will work the same.

• runs +5...36v
  • sigma studio has variety of effect blocks and of course the compressor is included
  • 2 adc inputs
  • 4 dac outputs (up to 12 possible)

The major drawback of adau1701 for me is the major pita if you want to expand inputs to use analog _and_ digital inputs. Also some quirks with gpio.

It's great dsp if you plan to use only adc inputs.

Thanks for the input. I'm happy you said this. I just saw that Sigma Studios has all the functions I am looking for. How many elements can I add before the DSP is overloaded? And I'm going for a analog in / analog out. I think I'm going to find someone who has produced such board. It looks like I can get one for half the price of the miniDSP 2x4 kit here in Europe

The ADAU1701 from Sure electronics will do what you want, I'm using a couple in place of the RC filter networks in some old stereo two way crossovers. I have them set up with more than 5 bands of PEQ, 150 taps of FIR and 5ms delay, comps and limiters for thermal and excursion/clip limiting. Comps are on the inputs, fed on a sidechain from the outputs.

I wasnt actually talking to you, but to this subforum administrator (which I presume is someone from MiniDSP). And I did that because I posted a link to a competitors product, MiniDSP may not be happy with that. Do you get that?

Yeah sorry. I thought you were someone from miniDSP or something alike haha.

Thanks for the link. I think my choice is between this one and the adau1701 from Sure with the Interface extension kit (Which you can find in the link). Gives me 2 inputs and 3 outputs

Do you know if I can add an external volume control to either of these options?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.