Nanodigi vs 2x4 HD

Hi,

I’m considering a minidsp, main purpose is for the subsonic filter and a low pass filter for subwoofer operation.

I don’t want the standard minidsp 2x4, because I don’t like the idea of ADC-processing-DAC, due to impact on sounds quality, even though I’m sure this will be fine for my purposes if used for the subwoofer only. I know that once I get my hands on one of these units, I’m going to enjoy playing with it, so want to future proof myself and consider putting HPF on my floor standing speakers (and trying eq’ing full range, more for fun, than for gain)

I’m therefore considering the minidsp 2x4 HD or the Nanodigi. I’d take a digital in, from various sources, USB from Laptop (my primary music listening source) and maybe a digital in from a TV.

My understanding is that the nanodigi has all the benefits of the 2x4 HD ?, just instead of analogue outs only, it has digital outs only. If this is the case, I’m tempted with the nanodigi, as I can take digital from sources, pass through nanadigi, one digital out straight to my hifi amplifier for driving floorstanders (even if straight pass through eg no eq). Then another digital out, through a higher quality (than minidsp 2x4HD) external DAC (maybe $100 DAC), over to the subwoofer.

This to me appears to be the best route for sound quality purposes, but so long as the nandigi has all the features of the minidsp 2x4 HD. My concern is it’s the minidsp 2x4 board and not the minidsp 2x4 HD inside a nanodigi. I’d like all the benefits of the minidsp 2x4 HD, including ability to upgrade to Dirac Live at later date.

Also, the nanodigi is specified with SPDIF outputs, so I can tie this into a Digital Coax Input on my hifi amplifier ?

Any comments or advice on the above would be appreciated.

Many thanks

martin

Those two units are quite a bit different from each other.
The 2x4Hd unit is a more advanced DSP and supports FIR filtering...among other things. Also it allows USB streaming.
The nanoDIGI is a 2x8 unit.

I suggest to take a closer look at the capabilities of both and see which one best fits your intended usage.

Dave.

At the moment yes it is controlling volume With ability to choose between toslink, coax spdif and usb so a sort of preamp, ideally I’d like to run it flat out and put ladder attenuators after the dac. Something like the EIZZ ones that come in 4 gang version, using one for left and one for right and maybe mechanically locking them together with cogs.

I did this with a Audio GD dac to good effect but only in stereo, worked well with my active monitors.

Audio GD DIY Update

Audio GD DAC + Linn Axis + Rega A2D

I think the Khadas tone board can be edited to also have a volume control (the es9038q2m certainly has the ability, see the Soncoz solution), but then you would need to link all four dacs together.

guys just a warning from me , i own both nanodigi and 4x10 minidsp , on both the coaxial input is dead only toslink works...units are 6 years old

Well, I used to have a 10x10AD (analogue in and analogue out - but used with digital in) - but now have a nanoDIGI (digital in and digital out).

Coax input works on both of them! So I can't help with your problem. :(

Andy

Reactions: 1 user
Do not despair over DACs , since 30-40 years ago and Yamaha Consoles DAC is an invisible device , or should be by definition and most are .
Why then people say this DAC is better and this one is worse . I witnessed it
Loudness mostly , people perceive louder as better, more compressed as better , not even knowing more compressed music gets your ear tiered faster , people who report these things haven't got a clue , they did not use an oscilloscope or even just a recording interface and record its output and compare , they dont even know when you are testing a device be it amp , preamp , dac , whatever you always use 1 speaker , why , because 2 only confuses you .
Like 2 people talking , you hear both but when 1 is speaking you can hear it clearer , or confusion drops.
This is how DACs , AMPs , Speakers are made , in single mode , and tested ..short of Crosstalk that is so low these days that its not even worth mentioning .
DAC is there to get Digital input and generate analog output , by definition this process should be flat and not collared.
And most manufacturers do this fine , i used 10 DACs , they are all the same only 1 had louder outputs , but this was DJ DAC for pushing Party speakers , so its made for that , to be loud . Compresses the music a bit as well .
Now i know there are 2000$ DACs out there, and i would love for somone to take a Recording interface , record it , and get a classic studio audio interface and record the DAC .
Aslo some people say Optical sounds better then USB , USB 3 sounds better then USB2 , short USB cable sounds better , more expensive sounds better .
You name it , lots of tests can be done .
In post set the loudness to same levels , and upload results on you tube but with links to RAW files because we all know YT has bad quality , Sound Cloud has good enough quality , but just to be on a safe side have WAV somewhere .
Test with same cables and let us see should we invest 2000$ in a DAC , and what that 2000$ gets you .
If someone says but wait how can you test 2000$ DAC with classic 100$ Studio Audio interface , well Music is Recorded on that , its that ADC that made the Digital file , so it can do it once again .ITs far more sensitive then human hearing anyways even if it is flawed in some way .
If this test exists somewhere , i am interested to see it .
I would provide but i dont have a 2000$ DAC , if someone from EU wants to lend one for testing ,im all in .