Low output voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Just bought a regular non HD unbalanced MiniDSP and via the 2x4 Advanced program it works great for my 2.1 set-up.

One question; Why is the output set to such a low maximum of 0.9v ?

When my DAC feed my amp directly the overall output through the speakers is noticeably louder. When the MiniDSP is inserted between the DAC and the Power amp it’s quite noticeable that the output is reduced.

Any possible diy mods to increase the output voltage ?

Thanks
Eric

Account Closed
Joined 2001
The standard unit is unity gain with the input jumpers in the the 0.9 volt position, so you shouldn't notice any reduction in level.

The 0.9VRMS maximum voltage is inherent in the ADAU1701 chip. To avoid extra cost, there are no additional voltage gain stages added. So, you're stuck with that limitation unless you add something externally. If you wanted more voltage, you should have selected the balanced version.

Dave.

You do notice a reduction in level, it’s only normal since my DAC output is greater than 0.9v so when the MiniDSP is inserted the output will be lowered. That’s easy to understand.

Thanks for the info, looks like a Preamp w a small voltage gain is required.

Kinda wonder why they did this, many people have this issue.

BR
Eric

Account Closed
Joined 2001
You didn't make clear in your first post your jumper setting and overall configuration, and thus my comment.
Where is your system volume control at?

I suggest to read Section 4 of the miniDSP 2x4 manual.....regards mode setting of the jumpers.
If connecting a DAC directly, the jumpers should probably be in the 2 volt position to avoid clipping of the ADC. In that case the configuration will yield a 7db insertion loss. If you system volume control is in your DAC, you can most likely use the 0.9 volt setting and not clip the DSP internals.

As I said, if you had a requirement for more voltage, you should have selected the balanced version. Operated with an unbalanced scheme, you would have had a 2-volt in....2-volt out configuration.

Dave.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.