converting stereo to mono in minidsp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to set up my audio system for my studio. I would like to figure out how to convert a digital stereo input into mono. I'm using a chromecast streaming spotify as my source (using the toslink output from the chromecast) and there doesn't appear to be any options for converting to mono before the minidsp. I have a 2x4 minidsp and a 4 channel amp. I would like to power a 3 way speaker with this set up. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It seems like something that should be easily accomplished, but I have yet to figure it out.

Worst case scenario I can use the analog output from my chromecast and switch it to mono between the chromecast and the minidsp. However I would really prefer to use the digital out of the chromecast.

Thanks!

Hi Joseph,

The features of the various miniDSP devices vary according to which plugin software you choose. With the 2x4 it can be a bit confusing (for me at least). For example: You say you need a single 3-way output from your 2x4. At first, the logical plugin choice would be the 4-Way Advanced. But while this one satisfies your output requirement, it doesn't appear to have any means to mix a stereo input to mono.

The only plugin I see that will do this is the 2x4 Advanced, which includes the Matrix Mixer block. This can be used to simply connect the left & right matrix inputs to the left & right matrix outputs. From there you can configure 3 of the 4 outputs for LP, BP & HP outputs (with one output left over for a subwoofer, heh).

Good luck...
- Jim

...the Matrix Mixer block. This can be used to simply connect the left & right matrix inputs to the left & right matrix outputs.

Hmm... After my morning coffee, the above doesn't look very helpful. What I meant was, the Matrix Mixer would allow you to connect all inputs & outputs together, thus combining your L & R input channels and assigning the resulting mix to all outputs.

Yup, I have trouble keeping all those plugins straight as well. I think the 2x4 was the original miniDSP hardware platform, and over the years the plugins appear to have spread up the trellis and across the bay window. Fun stuff, though - my audio system has never sounded better since I started fooling with their little boards & boxes.

Yeah they are great once they are all set up. It's incredible to be able to take measurements and adjust the crossover all on the computer so quickly. Instant gratification.

Just wanted to mention here if anyone stumbles across this thread that if you are switching to the 2x4advanced plugin you will most likely to move a jumper on your minidigi. Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure that one out.

Thanks for your help Jim!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.