Looking for 4x10HD old firmware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Don't you have an older version(s) unpacked in your computers downloads folder??

Regardless, you shouldn't need to revert to old FW version if you're using the most current matching software plugin. The FW version 2.10 should work for any plugin version later than 1.09.

Cheers,

Dave.

I've never updated the firmware nor the plugin, so I don't have any old versions.
I'm forced to do this update because LX521 plans come with XML files incompatible with old plugins.

Few days ago I had an old plugin and old firmware, and I could listen to music.
Now I have a new firmware and a new plugin, and the minidsp is unusable.
So the trivial thing to try is revert the change: install an old plugin and use it to "update" the firmware to a very old version.

lduarte1973: I just used the file you sent me and I get the same result - the update hangs forever at "verify started" with the progress bar all green.
The input selector doesn't light but the preset light does. the unit won't connect but it will accept more firmware updates which all fail the same way.

MiniDSP support is yet to answer any of my emails or forum posts requesting this.
I interpret the silence from them as "your unit is dead and cannot be revived, sorry for the update..."

Account Closed
Joined 2001
No, it's absolutely not dead, and is only two minutes away from being updated and working correctly if you follow the proper procedure.

Here's what I would do:
1. Install the latest plugin version. Version 1.11.

2. Attempt to update the firmware via the new software GUI. Restore....Upgrade Firmware.

3. If that stops or hangs then power off your unit and then re-power with the reset button held in. That will get it into the boot-loader....guaranteed.

4. Then reattempt Step 2.

I know this will work, because I just finished recovering another users unit who was in exactly the same situation as you. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for the help, I will try this (many times) tonight, but that's exactly what I've been doing.

1. Install the latest plugin version. Version 1.11. - done, that's what I started with.

2. Attempt to update the firmware via the new software GUI. Restore....Upgrade Firmware. - done, hangs at "verify started", waited for 2 hours.

3. If that stops or hangs then power off your unit and then re-power with the reset button held in. That will get it into the boot-loader....guaranteed. - correct, it does go into bootloader and lets me repeat the process with the same result.
Alternatively I can go to bootloader and select "verify" (instead of "program/verify") and then it just returns failure.

4. Then reattempt Step 2. - did that many times, but i'll try some more.

Also, I found out in some doc (not the original manual) that I needed to do something before the firmware update, that updates the DSP. manual didn't say anything about that so I didn't.
Could it be that my DSP and controller have incompatible software now?

Or is it just some tactical failure in the update process?

(nevertheless going to try Davey's solution 20 times today)

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Well, I have seen a previous one act (seemingly) like that. It's weird. However, if you're trying 20 times and it's not working, then clearly something is wrong with your sequence/setup.

Are you loading the Version 2.10 firmware?? Non-compatible versions of software plugin and firmware will hang the unit.

I would try your procedure again, but when you get hung at "verify started" unplug your USB cable and then reconnect it. This will re-handshake the communication and might give you success.

Cheers,

Dave.

The plugin and the firmware come in the same ZIP file, and that's the only file offered to download @ minidsp. enclosed screenshot of download screen.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 3.41.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 3.41.17 PM.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 80
Account Closed
Joined 2001
If you had an older plugin version installed you might have to uninstall it before installing the latest plugin. They have fixed that issue a couple of years ago, and you no longer need to do that, but if your installed version was earlier than 1.06 (I believe) and you try to update directly to 1.11, I believe it will cause an issue.

Regardless, this shouldn't affect your ability to flash firmware to the unit since that's essentially a separate process. You might try running the DFU tool by itself directly via the installed shortcut.

I guarantee your unit is not bricked and unusable. You just have to find the proper procedure to re-establish the operation/communication. :)

Dave.

Before update i uninstalled the old plugin.
I just heard back from minidsp, and they said I should open the box and connect to the internal mini-usb on the board. I'm trying that and also shorter USB cables.
I don't think the unit is bricked, it powers on to bootloader and is detected by the flash software. it's just that so far i'm unable to flash a firmware into it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.