DSP vs no DSP ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm very interested in this DSP approach to room correction and tone control. I use single Full Range drivers so no X-over interest.

But the thought of putting an ADC-DSP-DAC into my signal chain after spending time and effort on an 'audiophile' amplifier worries me.

Has anybody done a comparison between a piece of wire and the ADC-DSP-DAC into a single full range driver to assess how transparent this is (or is not) ?

Thx

Account Closed
Joined 2001
If you've gone down the path of full-range drivers with no crossovers, I find it a bit puzzling you'd be interested in DSP equalization. :) But, anyways, you're asking a question regarding subjective performance ("transparency") that only you can answer. :)

Dave.

All speakers need EQ. For no other reason, they exist in rooms. I was bothered by the miniDSP ADC>DSP>DAC chain, so I went with the nanoDIGI which is all digital 24/96>32-bit>24/96. You get to choose your own DAC's. I do FAST, so I am bi-amped, but that is another issue.

Bob

What Bob says, the biggest limitation of the miniDSP stuff is the very basic ADC/DAC that's built into it. Going the all digital route completely removes this, especially if you are using an ESS DAC with their jitter removal tech.

If done like that it will be completely transparent.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
All speakers need EQ.
Bob

Some people might argue with you on that. :)

Anyways, the OP hasn't specified a particular miniDSP unit he's interested in. There are different ADC/DSP/DAC chains depending upon whether it's the 2x4 unit or 2x8 unit. Many have noted considerable subjective differences between these two.
But as has been noted, you don't necessarily have to utilize the onboard ADC/DAC's and there is also a couple of digital-only units.

"Transparency" is highly nebulous and really difficult to quantify. :)

Dave.

Last edited:
FM radio is like listening to 256 MP3's. SQ and MP3 is an oxymoron. But hey, I've been known to listen to SiriusXM over BlueTooth from my iPhone.

The DAC's in the miniDSP are not the greatest implementation. My Topping D20's are bettter, if not great. Yes, there is an improvement (IMO, of course).

I'll grant that many FM channels have been sacrificed on the alter of youth - compression and lots of it, gotta have loud. But there are many exceptions, one local station has preserved a higher quality experience (it's in French so I can't understand the adverts - that helps too !).

OK - so the conclusion from Bob is that the native DACs are not the greatest implementation.

Are there any others out there who have done the simple evaluation of DSP-in and DSP-out ??

OK, this is 100% IMO, no support, no measurements.

From the very first day I started playing with single-driver speakers, I'm heard that EQ of any sort "sucks the life out of the speaker". Well, most wide-range drivers have a rising response, and a rising response gives the impression of "life" and "detail. Slapping a BSC filter on a hot speaker brings the response more or less into balance, and means the rising response is ameliorated. The speaker becomes less hot, and the "life" and "detail" become muted.

I don't have any problem with anyone who likes a hot speaker. Your ears, your hobby. But I strongly believe that this issue is one of balancing the FR or not. I can't listen to a hot speaker. Most will set off my tinnitus. I like a reasonably balanced speaker. YMMV, yada, yada.

OK, there's my testimony.

Bob

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I've first hand experience of this with the Fostex FE127e, too hot out of the box, and BSC 'sucked the life out of it' - I moved on, to other drivers.

But I'm still interested in first hand experience of the DSP-in and DSP-out test. I'm quite surprised (almost) nobody has tried it !

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the miniDSP products at this point. :) A DSP in/out test is something you probably experience every day. Probably most of the CD's you listen to or audio you stream, or whatever, has been DSP-processed at some point in time.

You're asking for subjective opinions, but I suspect you're looking for the answer you want to hear before arriving at your conclusion. :) The only person that can answer your query is you. :)

Dave.

I've been using a 2x4 minidsp together with nanodigi for several years. I've never used analog inputs so I can't comment on that. But I can tell you that replacing the on board digital volume pot with an analog pot (alps) was a huge improvement in terms of SQ.
I am satisfied with the onboard dac.

LXmini SL's new speakers are based on minidsp 2x4 using analog input, so I guess ADC is not a major issue for him.

Probably most of the CD's you listen to or audio you stream, or whatever, has been DSP-processed at some point in time.Dave.

Yes indeed, my question is not about 'any DSP' nor is it a search for negative or positive opinions on the use of DSP. I want to know about the minidsp and it's use between source and power amplifier. My reason is twofold - a)I've been thinking about making an analogue pre-amp with tone controls but this is such an old fahsioned approach I thought a DSP approach might be more flexible, b) my single full range driver is not 'flat' in my room and some EQ would be welcome

You're asking for subjective opinions, but I suspect you're looking for the answer you want to hear before arriving at your conclusion. :) The only person that can answer your query is you. :)

Dave.

I'd like to hear that the darn thing is transparent and is therefore, a real bargain that can be used without thinking twice about it. But it will take $ and time and effort for me to evaluate it although as you rightly point out this is the proper way. However, I can only evaluate it in my current system and it may not be very typical (it's mono for starters). So asking for opinions from others provides me with additional information to consider.

There's always a danger that people who buy it will defend their purchase by telling me it sounds good even if it doesn't. That's why I value opinions from people like Bob, who I know to be objective.

Last edited:
Current K2 clone attempt.

Attachments

• k2 attempt.jpg
    k2 attempt.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 233
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.