Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 2nd September 2014, 10:44 PM   #31
lousymusician is offline lousymusician  United States
diyAudio Member

DSP vs no DSP ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Thank goodness we've reached a point to agree on

Anybody else have some subjective opinions based on comparing DSP-in and DSP-out they would like to share ?
I used a MiniDSP 2 x 4 + MiniDigi combination, using the SPDIF input for all listening and the MiniDSP's volume pot, for some time. I recently sprung for the 4x10hd (same guts as the 2x8 board + Digi-FP and Vol-FP). When I first set up the 4 x 10, same speakers, same parameters, same amps, I thought that I heard some improvement - more detail, more transparency. It certainly was not a blind test, but I have no desire to go back to try to confirm that impression. If you're worried about degradation, I'd go for the 2x8 / 4x10, or the nanoDIGI with separate DAC's.

The only time I compared the same speaker with or without the DSP was with a Hawthorne Silver Iris coax. That speaker's FR is anything but flat. After EQ'ing it fairly flat with the MiniDSP, any loss in the DSP was swamped by the easily audible improvement in FR.

Bill
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:57 PM   #32
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

DSP vs no DSP ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabaspeed521 View Post
FM radio will always sound like crap
And you expect anybody to pay attention to your opinion after a statement like that
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:58 PM   #33
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

DSP vs no DSP ?
Thanks Bill - useful and interesting experience.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:07 PM   #34
kouiky is offline kouiky  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabaspeed521 View Post
Let me get this straight. You're listening to radio and you're worried about transparency, I've heard it all. You could always run different signal chains for different sources and/or convert. FM radio will always sound like crap so it doesn't really matter what you use to connect it to your speakers (it is the limiting factor in this case).
Maybe he wants to use several different sources over time, without having to switch many components including the DSP? I think his desire is valid, and its something that others may want, too. Not every source is digital. He wants the DSP to alter the frequency response without adding unwanted effects. I've heard that the DEQX DSP/crossover was very transparent, and in that subjective sense, didn't impose the impression of bandwidth alterations, channel separation affects, or adding subjective distortion artifacts like dry-sounding coloration or slurred treble. Another DSP that was said to sound good was the Accuphase DG-28. They are both expensive, though. I should think that we can accomplish great sound and greater functionality today for less money, but the right people have to be involved in the design of it. Often times I'm left wondering if the people designing audio products were a bit hearing impared. Having met some, they don't seem to care so long as their design satisfies 2 or 3 measurements under ideal (unrealistic) test conditions.

Last edited by kouiky; 2nd September 2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:01 AM   #35
buzzforb is offline buzzforb  United States
diyAudio Member

If you can do your playing in a couple three weeks, ill send you mine to play with for free.
Old 3rd September 2014, 05:04 AM   #36
CFT is offline CFT  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Well, now that we've established you're interested in meaningless opinions, I'll offer you mine.
I've auditioned a wide variety of these DSP-based xover/EQ units (including most of the miniDSP units) in 'straight-through' mode, and I don't consider any of them "transparent." A properly configured A/B setup with levels matched and I can fairly easily identify the processed path. This is assuming signal levels are such that noise is swamped.

YMMV.

Dave.
Thanks Dave.

Could you share more on what dsp units you currently are using that you found least contaminated and happy listening to?

Last edited by CFT; 3rd September 2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 14th October 2014, 04:03 PM   #37
dtaylo3 is offline dtaylo3  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Volume control

Bob:

How do you control volume in your nanoDigi/Topping system? Are you using the volume control in the nanoDigi? That must be a digital volume control, isn't it? I have been thinking of running the nanoDigi into two Emotiva Dacs that I have. And the Emotiva's have their own volume control.
Old 14th October 2014, 04:51 PM   #38
Bob Brines is offline Bob Brines  United States
diyAudio Member

I control the volume from the music player. Here is how I set up my rig.

1. Disable the cross overs, but not the EQ.

2. Turn off the bass amp. Set the player volume to max. Set the volume on the treble amp to a bit louder than your can stand.

3. Turn of the treble amp. Set the bass amp volume to match the treble amp at the proposed cross-over point.

4. Enable the cross-over and turn on the bass amp.

You should now be able to control the volume from the player without excessive digital attenuation. I up convert everything to 24/96 within the player so there are lots of bits to cut off.

Bob
  Reply to this post

DSP vs no DSP ?Hide this!Advertise here!