Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 2nd September 2014, 07:48 PM   #21
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
The best explanation that I can come up with is compression.
Simply not possible (objectively) if your gain structure is nominal. If you're referring to "compression" in the subjective sense, then I can't argue with you. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

Dave.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:19 PM   #22
buzzforb is offline buzzforb  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah. Didnt know we were talking objective opinion.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:46 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Ah. Didnt know we were talking objective opinion.
"Objective opinion" is an oxymoron.

Objective evaluation is not clouded by opinion. It's simply factual (or an attempt at) testing that's performed on a bench or in a lab. (No listening tests.)

Subjective evaluation is indeed opinion and, by definition, incontrovertible.

Just my opinion.

Dave.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:48 PM   #24
kouiky is offline kouiky
diyAudio Member

Please, let's get back on topic. Bigun would like to have some EQ options for his tastes and room, but is wondering if the miniDSP, and maybe others, are distructive in other ways to the transmission of those signals. Anyone have their own subjective experience or objective comparisons?

Last edited by kouiky; 2nd September 2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:09 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

He's asking for subjective evaluations. They're meaningless. And my opinion would be just as meaningless.

We've already heard that DSP "has the tendency to suck the life out of the music," the ADC/DSP/DAC chain is "bothersome," "it seems to kill some of the dynamics of the music."
Can anybody make sense of that?? And what the heck does "distructive in other ways to the transmission of those signals" mean?

The premise of the OP's original query is not well thought out. There's not an easy black/white answer to this question. I'm not sure why that's unclear.

As far as EQ'ing capability......this is a separate issue to his query. Any decent DSP processor box will be able to equalize a response to whatever is desired. That's trivial for the new-fangled gadgets nowadays. Any of the miniDSP products can do that easily.

Dave.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:16 PM   #26
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

DSP vs no DSP ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
And my opinion would be just as meaningless. .
Thank goodness we've reached a point to agree on

Anybody else have some subjective opinions based on comparing DSP-in and DSP-out they would like to share ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Bob Brines is offline Bob Brines  United States
diyAudio Member

OK. I went back and read the original post. Answer, probably not. In fact, I cannot do that. I have nowhere in my data chain that I can tap an analog signal until after the DAC's. The only way I could do that is to insert a miniDSP into the output of the nanoDIGI and see it that has any affect on the input to that amp. The data cables and control cables and interconnect and .... is a nightmare, and I am not going to insert more stuff. Sorry.

Let me say that IMO I thing that the Topping D20 DAC's with no ADC in the chain sound clearer than the miniDSP.

Bob
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:15 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Thank goodness we've reached a point to agree on

Anybody else have some subjective opinions based on comparing DSP-in and DSP-out they would like to share ?
Well, now that we've established you're interested in meaningless opinions, I'll offer you mine.
I've auditioned a wide variety of these DSP-based xover/EQ units (including most of the miniDSP units) in 'straight-through' mode, and I don't consider any of them "transparent." A properly configured A/B setup with levels matched and I can fairly easily identify the processed path. This is assuming signal levels are such that noise is swamped.

YMMV.

Dave.
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:19 PM   #29
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

DSP vs no DSP ?
Thanks Dave, Bob.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:24 PM   #30
sabaspeed521 is offline sabaspeed521  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
All digital is attractive, but I also like to listen to my FM analogue radio.

Bob - when you say you were 'bothered' by the chain, was it based on actual listening experience ?
Let me get this straight. You're listening to radio and you're worried about transparency, I've heard it all. You could always run different signal chains for different sources and/or convert. FM radio will always sound like crap so it doesn't really matter what you use to connect it to your speakers (it is the limiting factor in this case).

DSP vs no DSP ?Hide this!Advertise here!