Daphile > SPDIF > Splitter > L&R miniDIGI/miniDSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to go to full digital using SPDIF out with Daphile so the chain is:

Daphile > SPDIF > 75 Ohm cable > 2 way splitter > 75 Ohm cable to Left & Right channels which have a miniDIGI/miniDSP combo in each speaker box

Will this work? I know there is another thread by Dr Jim but I can't work out whether it is the same.

Thanks

Abs

Maybe try over on miniDSP's own forum.
I shouldn't have to; this forum was set up (and paid for) by miniDSP on the premise that they will service the area. Since they have no physical shopfront, the only recourse I have is through the web structure they established as part of their web based business. If they don't want purchasers, or prospective purchasers, to use this facility, then it should be dismantled. (Queue the flamers!)

Abs

Well, I'm not sure they do pay for it, I wasn't around here much at the time but all of these commercial forums seemed to just spring up like mushrooms one day. miniDSP have said several times that they would prefer to answer questions on their own forum.

But, whatever mate, do what you like.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I don't know. I learnt my lesson, that's for sure. Still can't find the unsubscribe button.... argh...

User CP
Subscribed Threads
Click box on the right and then "Delete Subscription" below in the "Selected Threads" box.
:)

I'm not sure why "minidsp" is not posting here either. I suppose the miniDSP forum keeps him busy enough.
Regardless, a query on their forum will get an answer....but it might be a day or two. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Would have posted in this thread sooner but only saw it now...

Yeah this will work. BUT keep in mind unless you can output a volume controlled SPDIF signal you will be getting the signal at full SPDIF level. Not sure if the Daphile will do digital attenuation... but even if it doesn't there is a workaround: you can also send (possibly along the same cable if using coax) a DC voltage in the range 0-3.3V and connect that to a header on the MiniDSP 2x4 board. You would want to filter out the SPDIF signal with a simple RC lowpass. This supplies a signal that is used to attenuate. There is a thread on it somewhere in this forum - search under my username and digital wireless preamp. That may give you some other ideas as well. If you have some questions feel free to send me a PM.

-Charlie

Last edited:
I'm not sure why "minidsp" is not posting here either. I suppose the miniDSP forum keeps him busy enough.
Regardless, a query on their forum will get an answer....but it might be a day or two. :)

Cheers,

Dave.
Yes, you're right Dave... We've just been a bit swamped on the miniDSP forum and daily inquiries. It's a simple lack of time. We're trying our best to answer all the daily emails and staff all forums out there.. :)

@ Absconditus
Do they not have any interest in diyaudio.com?
mmmh, I've no idea where that statement comes from knowing we've been financially helping DIYaudio.com for the past 5 years? Not sure we're really interested in getting in that kind of fishing argument though..:)

Back to the technical question, yes it will indeed work as already mentioned by Charlie. SPDIF can easily be splitted to 2 stacks OR you could do the daisy chain from one stack to the other (i.e. using SPDIF out from miniDIGI).

Thanks for the answer. That is all I asked for.

You do, however, quote out of context. The full quote was;
miniDSP hasn't been to this forum for over a month. Do they not have any interest in diyaudio.com?
In context, it refers to the, already stated, period of over one month that you have not posted at this forum.

Also, in the same context;
I shouldn't have to; this forum was set up (and paid for) by miniDSP on the premise that they will service the area. Since they have no physical shopfront, the only recourse I have is through the web structure they established as part of their web based business.

I accept you have been busy and I thank you for the answer. A month is a long time though.

Abs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.