USBStreamer multichannel USB audio interface

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And here is to a new little fun toy! :)

Introducing the USBStreamer, a 10x IN, 10 x OUT asynchronous USB interface with native support up to 192kHz. With toslink (stereo) or I2S (8ch) support, this USB audio dongle will fit most custom Audio project thanks to its miniature size, support for Mac/Windows and great potential for customization.

A low cost innovative platform for your fun projects

Check out the product page for more info. User manual to be released mid next week. Boards will start shipping end of next week.

Hope you're liking it!

DevTeam

@ syklab,

The USBStreamer will appear as an 8ch Asio device in your PC so you can choose any of them... You just need to select the correct one in your ASIO router. :)
As per the user manual, Pin1 is I2S data OUT ch1&2 - Playback. So I guess you could use this one. Makes sense?

DevTeam

@ Buissonvert,

I'm afraid that we haven't tried the USBStreamer on Linux but from what we're told, some end users are fine using it on Linux. We'd have to wait more to confirm officially though.

As for the firmware upgrade, I'm afraid that it's currently only a Windows process. No immediate plans to build a dedicated application for that process I'm afraid.

Devteam

@ BuissonVert, I2C over GPIO could indeed be done but the problem comes that we'd need to figure out a way to let end user enter a subroutine of how that I2C should behave at boot up. There is always going to be a more complex case out there (timing/speed) that would be a limitation. With this said, we could think of it as an upgrade in the future. A good idea.

DevTeam

Question - The XMOS reference design uses a 13 MHz pierce oscillator built from discrete parts, and an NC7SZU04 unbuffered logic inverter. Does the MiniDSP USBStreamer use a similar clocking circuit?

I'm interested because the type of circuit directly influences the amount of jitter that may (or may not) be heard.

Thanks!

@ Neil_J,
sorry for missing your post. In answer to your question, no we don't. It's using a 13Mhz oscillator but that 13MHz is only for the USB Phy though. Not for the audio signal.

Future firmware rev will have the ability to input a MCLK if those of you want to input their own MCLK>

Devteam

@ mgenerator,

You could indeed do a multitrack player with the USBSTreamer. You'd indeed need some multichannel DAC to connect to the USBStreamer. Choose one that can work as slave with a "hardware mode" i.e. no need for I2C/SPI configuration. If you're not too electronic friendly, maybe easiest to see if you can get some help from someone that has equipment and some knowledge. Though with some reading online, you could figure it out. That's what DIY is about. :)

DevTeam

Hi, I want to stream multi channel USB audio through USBStreamer and into multiple DACs, but I want to use DACs that take the usual non-I2S inputs (optical or coax or AES/EBU). What do I do?

• Can the DIGI-FP be used 'backwards' to convert I2S to SPDIF/Toslink/AES-EBU?

• Maybe I could use four DIGI-FP units to convert the USBStreamer's 8 channels of I2S to SPDIF/Toslink/AES-EBU.... then off to several non-I2S DACs.
cheers
PS I posted this on miniDSP forum but it is pretty quiet there and I am in a bit of a hurry to know so I can order a Christmas gift for myself! :)

I got my USBStreamer working last night, with a completely custom ES9023P board:

2011 MINI Cooper CarPC Build - Page 6 - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.