iPad as remote?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
more specifically for headless MacMini > minidsp> simple 2-way biamped speaker?

and forgive the laziness in asking the question (my ability to parse a search question precisely is rather limited)

If I understand correctly, the USB connection on minidsp in a box is for power supply and control /setup only, what would additional hardware and interconnect requirements be for such a system?

There would also be a MBP available for the initial set up, or retuning, but are there relatively simple options for streaming digital? My experience with the analog outputs of any of my Apple computers, is that it's not their best feature - but the miniToslink, and USB/Fireware are quite acceptable.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Controling the miniDSP directly via IPad is not possible. Not sure if there is somethink like a remote desktop available to control the pluginsoftware running on the MacMini via IPad?

USB Connection on the miniDSP is indeed "only" for control/power, not audio streaming. However adding a miniDIGI to the miniDSP will give you digital inputs (incl. Toslink) to realize MacMini (Toslink) -> miniDIGI -> miniDSP -> active speakers.

There is also the miniSTREAMER available, which will give you USB Audio Streaming, however a miniDIGI will still be necessary (to convert multiple samplerates to the 48kHz needed for the miniDSP) and so there will be no advantage ;)

Being able to plug in an iPad to make changes to the miniDSP on the fly would be tremendous. We are down to a desktop computer and an iPad in my house and disconnecting the miniDSP, connecting it to the computer, alter a setting, plug back in, listen, is not ideal.

You could try streaming from an Airport Express to the miniDSP. Digital and analog outputs are available as well as iPad/Pod control.

KM

I use remote desktop applications to control DBX Driverack 260s or Powersoft amps with builtin dsp with my iPad and iPhone through a computer in the amp rack connected to a wireless router. Specifically I use VNC and it is very stable. This is for the sound systems at night clubs I work at. When the router is connected to the internet I configure a VPN to allow me access from home. All I need is a remote power on and I'm set(in the works)...

I may be speaking too soon but I have plans to incorporate a mini itx based pc connected to a minidsp unit (or one I develop) with a built in wireless tx/rx network interface(antenna's on the front and everything) and balanced Analog(xlr) and digital(spdif or aes) I/O on the back in a 1u rack mount case. Currently I lack the funding to develop it properly as my research has indicated that going through conventional routes (ie retail), would be too expensive for the target audience. The cost of materials was rapidly approaching $1000USD which, after I mark it up to be worth my time, would almost be as much as a BSS Soundweb London BLU16 unit. I'm looking to have the base configuration price be under $900USD.

I'd be happy to help others out with doing their own such thing in leiu of my unit being unavailable. I'm quite hesitant to post this info but I've read these forums for long enough that it's about time I started contributing.

Looking forward to any questions as this is kind of my specialty at the moment.

hmm looks like someone has a big head start on me:
Home | DSP4YOU - Networking your world

Wait a minute the choice in font is suspiciously similar to http://www.minidsp.com/
What's going on here...I found DSP4YOU on the list of exhibitors for AES San Francisco.
Is this a re-branding? Possibly a collaborative effort? They are in Hong Kong as well I see.
Am I just behind here or are others in the dark too?

OOO job opening...I'm just going to shut up now.

-a Confused and Excited Networked sound geek

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.