Basic miniDSP volume control question for a miniDSP n00b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone-

I've realized that a miniDSP may be the way to go with my ever growing OB project. Please forgive my limited understanding of the miniDSP capabilities, I'm having trouble finding the right documentation to answer my question.

My setup will be as follows:

Preamp-->crossover/eq(miniDSP?)-->amps

My concern is about whether the preamp will be able to control volume before the miniDSP. Am I able to control volume at the preamp stage before the MiniDSP using the analog input?

For example: preamp/volume control-->analog connection-->MiniDSP-->analog connection-->amplifier

Will this work? Or do I need to put another volume control between the miniDSP and the amplifiers? I'd like to avoid this if possible.

Thank you!

It definitely works, although it's not ideal. Currently I'm controlling the volume in Windows (computer as source) > DAC > miniDSP. The DAC is to get the conversion out of the computer, I'll be getting a miniDigi soon.

The way I understand it, the best way to control volume is after the D/A of the miniDSP outputs. This way, the full signal is sent into the miniDSP for processing. This allows the highest resolution and snr. I'd like to do this, but I would need 8+ channels of analog volume control......not feasible right now. Controlling the volume digitally in the miniDSP is the next best option IMO.

All that said, what you wanna do will work :rolleyes:

Thank you for the quick replies. I did some more research; I am able to pull PCM 2.0 from all of my sources to one optical cable which I will feed to the miniDSP and then I will use a preamp with at least 6 channel ext. In/6 channel preout to control the volume.

My biggest concern was having to convert any surround format to stereo for my 2-channel setup before the miniDSP. All is well :)

That doesn't make sense for a lot of applications since you would basically be putting the source downstream of the dsp/XO/EQ. If you're using a digital volume control as the source then perhaps you're losing resolution, but I don't see it with an analog source (i.e. preamp). By your method how would you control volume when the minidsp is serving as a crossover?

It definitely works, although it's not ideal. Currently I'm controlling the volume in Windows (computer as source) > DAC > miniDSP. The DAC is to get the conversion out of the computer, I'll be getting a miniDigi soon.

The way I understand it, the best way to control volume is after the D/A of the miniDSP outputs. This way, the full signal is sent into the miniDSP for processing. This allows the highest resolution and snr. I'd like to do this, but I would need 8+ channels of analog volume control......not feasible right now. Controlling the volume digitally in the miniDSP is the next best option IMO.

All that said, what you wanna do will work :rolleyes:

The source downstream from the DSP? The source has to come before the DSP. That doesn't make any sense.........

The miniDSP can do volume control digitally, with the debateable loss of resolution. With proper gain structure of the system I don't think the loss would be that great, if even noticeable, since the amount of attenuation is minimal. Dunno until I try.

My only source is digital (computer). When my miniDigi card arrives, it'll be digital from the computer to the DSP, then A/D at the DSP outputs, to the amps.

To get the ideal, full resolution I would have to have an 8 channel analog volume control. after the miniDSP.

No, you missed the point. Your answer to the OP was in the context of your system, not his question. He was starting w/ a preamp. In that context, your answer doesn't make any sense.

The source downstream from the DSP? The source has to come before the DSP. That doesn't make any sense.........

The miniDSP can do volume control digitally, with the debateable loss of resolution. With proper gain structure of the system I don't think the loss would be that great, if even noticeable, since the amount of attenuation is minimal. Dunno until I try.

My only source is digital (computer). When my miniDigi card arrives, it'll be digital from the computer to the DSP, then A/D at the DSP outputs, to the amps.

To get the ideal, full resolution I would have to have an 8 channel analog volume control. after the miniDSP.

My last replies were to you as you quoted me......

In my original post to the OP I referenced my system as I'm basically doing the same thing, except instead of using a pre to control the volume I'm using my computer, which obviously comes before the miniDSP. Similar to the OP I'm using the analog inputs to the DSP, so really the method of volume control before the DSP is irellevant, the point is that it works. What I was getting at is it isn't the "ideal" solution.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.