audiophile sound from miniDSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bonsoir :)

I use miniDSP 2X4 revB for 6 month now in an analogic configuration :

Linux PC + M-audio 2496 -> miniDSP -> T150 Poppulse
With MLTL FE 207 + Sub
and now for one week with a Three way D300P04 Atohm + 16GKLV6M Davis + TW034 audax

I can simply tell that the sound is very natural ans clean.
With an EQ made by Room Equal Wizard (REW) and put into the miniiDSP, you can really inprove the sound in your room.
Especially in the bass range.

Last edited:
Bonsoir :)

I use miniDSP 2X4 revB for 6 month now in an analogic configuration :

Linux PC + M-audio 2496 -> miniDSP -> T150 Poppulse
With MLTL FE 207 + Sub
and now for one week with a Three way D300P04 Atohm + 16GKLV6M Davis + TW034 audax

I can simply tell that the sound is very natural ans clean.
With an EQ made by Room Equal Wizard (REW) and put into the miniiDSP, you can really inprove the sound in your room.
Especially in the bass range.

output of M-audio 2496 is digital or analog?
2x4 miniDSP can be used in 3way?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
miniDSP 2x4 can be used as Stereo 2 way or as mono 3/4way depending on the loaded plugins. Thus for 3/4 way configuration you will need 2 miniDSP

However for a 3/4 way configuration I would go for a miniDSP 2x8 which has better specs and configuration is more comfortable.

Last edited:
Ouput of M-audio 2496 is analog, the medium/tweeter crossover is passive.
I use te miniDSP as a 2 way crossover :

- FE207 MLTL ans a sub
- Bass section of the three way and the medium-tweeter unit

2x4 miniDSP can' be used in a 3 way stereo configuration without a passive crossover section. The advantage of the design is that you can EQ and crossover the full the system at low cost, only two amps + miniDSP + 2 way advanced plugin. FYI, this design ils also used in the NAO II, you can take look at the web site or in the forum.

I use plate amps Hypex 2.0 for the bass section and a poppulse T150 mkII for medium/tweeter.
The sound is really great even in this analog configuration. FYI, this design ils also used in the NAO II.

Concerning the miniDSP 2x8, it is not in the same price range and some of user have report that its more "noisy" than the 2x4. Look at the miniDSP forum.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
2x8 is more expensive, right. If we look for a 3/4 way System, two 2x4 are 198$ and one 2x8 is 299$. However I think it is definitely worth the additional amount of money.

I used both, miniDSP 2x4 and miniDSP 2x8 and can not confirm higher noise of 2x8. For me the 2x8 definitely sounds much better. Maybe its an issue with the higher output of the 2x8 at the RCA terminals (2Vrms vs 0,9Vrms) and thus a non optimal gain structure with the 2x8 in some systems?

Last edited:
I would go with minidsp 8x8+minidigi+dacs if your funds allow , if not , just the minidsp+minidigi (cheaper if ordered together) already a great place to start.the minidsp is a very versitile tool you can configure almost to perfection for your room , plus has a great advantage to me - the equalizer in digital domain

the electronic crossovers like Marchand dont allow much more than choosing crossover points.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The sample rate does not make the sound ;-)
You will not be able to hear any signals above say 18-20kHz and I doubt that there is any relevant information in most of the recordings (except some high samplerate recordings that can be downloaded).
The benefit you get from higher samplerates is, that different analog output filters after the DAC can be used with less influence to the audible frequency range. This can be a real benefit in high quality DACs.
However if we look for a price range about 100$ I doubt that a analog crossover solution with OPs and a "highend" DAC that is significantly better than the build in miniDSP DAC can be realized, if it is even possible!
I second the recomendation from lduarte1973: go for a miniDSP + miniDIGI and you will have a great place to start and real fun equalizing your system;-)

Last edited:
If you are low about budget, you can try with only the miniDSP 2x4 card and then add the miniDGI card.
In this case the cost wil be more expensive, also the system will be a little more complex.
If you are really a novice ;-) sure you will enjoy the sound with only miniDSP.

>> The sample rate does not make the sound ;-)

I agree, take a look at this link miniDSP/vs DCX :

Red Spade Audio: Behinger Ultradrive DCX vs MiniDSP
"Conclusion : 4. All the units were transparent enough to satisfy the majority of DIY speaker enthusiasts."

I think now you have all informations to make your choice, budget can help ;-)

>> Maybe its an issue with the higher output of the 2x8 at the RCA terminals.

It seems to me that the builder of the NAO II has reported this in the MiniDSP forum. a part of his explaination was the higher analogic output on the 2x8.

Last edited:
i dont mean to be a pain but i would go with the 2x8+minidigi , it´s worth the extra amount and allows you 4 way crossover , like i have 3 way classic speakers + subs

this reminds me my exprience with cd players , i had a sony cdp something i thought was already a nice cd player (laser died) , then bought an arcam alpha 7 and thought it was much better , then i bought the Cambridge Audio which i think is one of the best buys without riping your wallet.

sometimes it pays to spend a little more if you can , and soon you wont be a novice and crave for something better

but as Pascal says the minidsp 2x4 is already a good choice.

with foobar you can change sample rate to see if it matters much to you.

the minidsp 8x8 is the most expensive , if you dont need extra analog input , forget it

Last edited:
A picture of my work in progress with miniDSP :) :

On the left side, the system described in the beginning of th thread, Atohm, Davis, Audax,
all french brands ;-)

nice speakers , i have yet to think of a project with audax and davis ,

i have visaton x 4 - gf200+scanspeak 10F/8424G00+Bohlender-Graebener NEO3 PDR

2 JBLe250P subs ( bought for half retail price)

Pascal do you know these drivers , are they good for home use ? what is HDA Aerogel ?

http://www.rumoh.nl/nl/audax/3895-hm210z10.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.