miniDSP releases 1kW & 2kW plate amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

New products, new projects, new ideas..

Introducing the PWR-DSP series. Three new plate amplifier models with embedded DSP, IP control over Ethernet/Wifi, audio streaming over networks and stellar performance from the Pascal Audio amplifier modules. In brief, this is not the type of plate amplifier you would find on a Wallmart subwoofer! :)

PWR-DSP1: 1x2400Wrms, 1x4000Wpeak
PWR-DSP2: 2x800Wrms, 1x1300Wrms (bridged)
PWR-DSP3: 1x2400Wrms + 2x700Wrms

Want to read more? Check it out for more info here.

Have fun,

DevTeam

I am unclear on how the DSP capabilities of the PWR-DSP3 compare to that of the 4x10 MiniDSP. I'm not really happy with any of the solutions to the on off thump and the multiple adapters and contortions I'll have to go through to be able to use it with 3 three way speakers. So I was looking at this as a possible solution.

The manual doesn't reference any plug ins like the the MiniDSPs do and it seems to have a more limited function set from the description. Is it possible to take an active crossover configuration from a MiniDSP and import it for use in a PWR-DSP unit?

George,

Try using a relay that has a 120VAC coil to short to ground the output of the line level stages (e.g. after the MiniDSP) as soon as power is disconnected. The relay needs to switch within a few milliseconds, so an relay with an AC coil powered directly by the mains is a must. You will need to make sure that DC power to the MiniDSP continues to be supplied as least until the relay closes - you can probably do that by adding a few mF of capacitance to (or after) your existing supply.

When the relay contacts are not shorting the output to ground, the relay is out of the circuit and will have no impact on the sound quality, etc.

Typically what is happening is that the power supply for the line level stages is collapsing before the power amp power supply. When the mains power is removed the line level circuitry sends out some odd signals as it sputters out, while the power amp is still ready and able. This is likely the source of your thump. On the other hand, if the thump is coming from the amplifier itself, then this won't help. You can do some testing to make sure the problem is the MiniDSP.

If, however, the DC power can be sustained to the MiniDSP a little longer, the relay(s) should be able to short the output to ground before any bad noises can reach the amp.

You might look for a 4-pole relay with 120VAC coil like this DP one:
120 VAC RELAY, DPDT 12 AMPS | AllElectronics.com
or just get multiples of that one.

-Charlie

Last edited:
George,

Try using a relay that has a 120VAC coil to short to ground the output of the line level stages (e.g. after the MiniDSP) as soon as power is disconnected. The relay needs to switch within a few milliseconds, so an relay with an AC coil powered directly by the mains is a must. You will need to make sure that DC power to the MiniDSP continues to be supplied as least until the relay closes - you can probably do that by adding a few mF of capacitance to (or after) your existing supply.

When the relay contacts are not shorting the output to ground, the relay is out of the circuit and will have no impact on the sound quality, etc.

Typically what is happening is that the power supply for the line level stages is collapsing before the power amp power supply. When the mains power is removed the line level circuitry sends out some odd signals as it sputters out, while the power amp is still ready and able. This is likely the source of your thump. On the other hand, if the thump is coming from the amplifier itself, then this won't help. You can do some testing to make sure the problem is the MiniDSP.

If, however, the DC power can be sustained to the MiniDSP a little longer, the relay(s) should be able to short the output to ground before any bad noises can reach the amp.

You might look for a 4-pole relay with 120VAC coil like this DP one:
120 VAC RELAY, DPDT 12 AMPS | AllElectronics.com
or just get multiples of that one.

-Charlie

I don't have the minidsp hooked up to anything yet, but it is clearly an issue with the basic hardware design and it has been widely reported enough that I'm leery of just hoping it doesn't happen with my set up.

I've seen several solutions along this line mentioned, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of kludging something like this together to solve a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place and adding yet another potential point of failure. It would be one thing if it was a little box or something I could just plug things into to fix this, but it isn't.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.