FIR linear phase plugin for MiniDSP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About a year ago there was mention of a FIR-based plugin coming for MiniDSP, but I have not heard anything since.

Access to low cost linear phase resources such as brickwall filters is of great interest, has anyone heard any update on development of this on the Minidsp platform?

Hey,

I am afraid that the `small´ miniDSP is to small storage wise to handle FIR.
Not that I have any proved information - but that is my educated guess when I read this in the thread about the new bigger miniDSP 2x8 :

"it won't support FIR on the first plug-in. Maybe in future revisions of the plug-in/configurations but not sure yet.. Although we have about 3 times the processing power of a typical miniDSP, FIR filters still require a lot of taps (i.e.memory) which in these platforms won't end up being a lot of processing.

For that reason, for the time being, we won't claim that it support FIR until we start to look at what FIR processing we can and can't do. This task is a longer term solution".

Cheers, Fabian

Meaning you need a computer to run the low cost active software that is avaiable. That means a silent PC, decent sound card etc. Nothing remotely close to $125 like the MiniDSP. List all equipment you have for that $99 IIR you just posted...Im curious.

As an owner of the Rane, DCX, Hypex active solutions and now the MiniDSP. Im going to be spending $1700 on the DEQX at some point because of its brick wall linear phase filters. Considering I spend > $10K on many different drivers choices ($1K subwoofer drivers and $1K CDs alone!!). I guess $1700 is just relative ;)

Last edited:
You need computer to just configure once miniDSP. Next u can use it just with power supply and all configured options.

I think there is a language or communication issue here. Yes, I know what the MiniDSP requires. I own 4 of them. Of course the problem (this thread topic) is the MiniDSP does not offer linear phase filters and I want linear phase filters.

My posts are asking about your
hmm it's cost for me, I like my current IIR for $99

Its hard to read but it read like you have some other solution for $99 and I assumed that meant a PC based solution.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just starting to research this topic and see that it can be done with the OpenDRC-DI or OpenDRC-AN variant which has the Sharc DSP engine that can handle 2.8 gflops - enough power to handle real time DSP for FIR and phase linearization. Also can be done with miniSHARC but that requires additional IO boards.

The rePhase FIR tool | MiniDSP

The analog box doesn't look like it has more than left right channels out, so how is the XO handled?

And it works pretty nice, too. Not for EQing phase to low frequencies with the plug-in I have, but above 100Hz and with RePhase it's a thing of beauty to behold. Maybe the new revision of the plug-in they just announced for it will let me shuffle the taps around more (I don't need any at all on output channels 3 and 4 (which I don't use)

Account Closed
Joined 2001
miniDSP no longer monitors this forum.
Any questions should be posted on the miniDSP forum. They don't monitor their forum as often as I'd like, but you will get an answer....eventually. :)

Bill,
You can reduce the availability on channels 3 and 4 to the minimum number and it should yield more taps on channels 1 and 2. Did you try that?

Dave.

I tried reducing the number of taps on 3 and 4, and yes it does indeed let you re-allocate those to 1 and/or 2. The min # of taps for a channel is 6.

The most taps you can allocate to a single channel is 2048.

Attachments

• mini DSP 2x4 HD taps.JPG
    mini DSP 2x4 HD taps.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.