MiniDSP as Linkwitz Orion ASP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Ha - sorry. I guess there are no numbers using the Seas? Here's a thought from an engineeringly challenged person ... is it correct that any Qtc can be obtained through ASP or DSP means? ...fire when ready. - Dan

Sure there are numbers for the Seas configuration.

Pluto-2 omni-directional loudspeaker

There is much information on the Linkwitz site regarding the various iterations of the Pluto system. Check it out.

Also the Thor pages are a comprehensive description of a closed-box woofer system design and execution.

THOR - subwoofer

There are numerous texts and online articles regarding electronic equalization and its ability to modify woofer system parameters such as Qtc. The answer to your question is "yes"....within reason. There are real-world physical characteristics that ultimately limit all systems.

Cheers,

Dave.

I'm now using my Orion's with the MiniDSP for some time now. Its working fine and the only thing I'm working on still is adjsting the volume.

Although I've bought the FP-VOL, using it is not that user friendly. I'm therefor designing an 8 channel Up controlled analog volume control with a 0.02dB deviation.

Ideally I would like to use a PIC to control the volume. It can be either single ended or ballanced. The number og channels can be extended.

Who would want to work with me to program the PIC?

The Idea is to use 16 datalines for Volume contol, 4 datalinen for input selection, 1 dataline for remote input, 2 datalines for volume digital pot, 2 datalines for input selection pot and setup.

When someone is really in the mood I would like a WEB interface as well to control input and volume.

Anyone who can/will help me with this?

Personally i think volume control is a key issue with the miniDSP kit. I have spent too much time thinking about it! There are more options now with digital in/out boards (nanoDIGI / miniSHARC).

I'm not a great fan of their volume implementation (VOL-FP), it could be better if they updated the software i think. At the moment the manual rotary requires too many turns and isn't practical. There is always the concern that there is a malfunction or, more likely, power outage (or accidental switch off) which can generate a loud pop in an active speaker scenario. I'm always a bit nervous about having the vol control there.

Excellent and value for money as the miniDSP is, the analogue stages aren't low on noise (not bad, but not great, depends on a number of factors....in my experience). Makes sense therefore to max the SNR from the miniDSP and feed that into high quality volume control.

That's why personally i would be interested to see a high quality implementation of an 8-channel balanced (remote) volume control situated after the miniDSP, with protection muting. I think it could sell well.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
The VOL-FP is not really the volume control, per se. That's just the external adjustment access. The actual volume control is performed in the DSP with no bit loss at anything other than very large attenuations.

The turning of the rotary control (and 0.5db steps) can easily be changed with a software update. Why not request this from the miniDSP guys? I'm sure they'd be open to the idea.

The popping on turn on/off has been remedied in the 2x8 board nearly two years ago and if you have an older one it can be retrofitted with a component change to fix.

Cheers,

Dave.

Yes indeed.....although your query is more related to the Pluto speaker.
Check out the Pluto pages for a look at the measured response and equalization applied.

Pluto electronics

Dave.

Thanks, it looks like the baffle step around 2000 is included in his measurement, so its not the same as my application. Still I put about a 2db dip around 3500-5000 and it helps a lot. Equalizer APO makes it easy.

Aurasounds are world class mid tweets, wouldn't want to use them in a passive speaker though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.