DSP and amplifier integrated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The project is so far only in a concept stage, so your ideas would be welcome to enrich it!

The idea: an active crossover with its amplifier, alml integrated.
In the bos, there would be:
-2xmini-dsp, each minidsp would be progralles as an active 4 way crossover
-3x stereo amplifier board mounter (or eventually in kit) .
-1 to 3 power supply card
-1 to 3 transformer

And eventually with:
- one card with volume control, analog input selector, screen and remote controllike that , most likely
- one digital input card, possible
- a 4th stereo amplifier, in case I wanna make a 4 way speaker set one day

It must be able to drive any pair of 3 way speaker (home usage)

I am not really sure which amplifier board to choose.
So far, I am tempted by 3 identical stereo amplifier board with LM3886 such as this one.
68W @4 Ohms for the midrange and tweeter should be way enough but would that be enopugh for any bass driver?
Is 3 identical stereo amplifier board the best choice?
What amplifier board would you use?

For the power supply, should I have one PS set for each card? One set being the transformer and its board.
Or one single PS for all?

What do you think ?

Hello

Should your project be high end, I miss one module in your concept:

High quality D/A conversion.

Let's say like this:

The included DAC's in the DSP chip used on MiniDSP are consumer quality.

I recommend to use I2S to go to a DAC of own choice.

Or use MiniDIGI boards to go over SPDIF (two per MiniDSP needed for four channels out).

Franz

/Edit
The same is true for the included A/D conversion on the MiniDSP chip. I recommend to use SPDIF input over a MiniDIGI

Last edited:
Hello

I cannot recommend any ADC because I dont use one.

My use of the MiniDSP is restricted to the digital domain, I use spdif in with the MiniDIGI board. In my audio chain(s) I dont do analog to digital conversion, as the best conversion is no conversion :rolleyes:

A good DAC?

For example the gigawork CS4398 with good output trannies instead of the active output circuit:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/137976-experience-diy-dac.html (be warned, monster thread)

Be aware: to connect a DAC by I2S does require some I2S knowledge, wich is not very trivial.

Franz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.