miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an interesting one for anyone who might have an answer.

I've been using a 10x10 for active crossovers. It's currently running Left, Center and Right channels, 3 in, 8 out.

I'd like to add FIR filtering, so I've been considering the OpenDRC DA-8. I'd like to leave the 10x10 doing the center channel and subwoofers, and go from the 10x10's SPDIF output into the OpenDRC DA-8 to run FIR filters for the Left and Right only.

Has anyone done this?

first project with miniDSP 2x4 boxed

hi everyone !

i want to modificate my old DIY speakers with miniDSP technology. i am also a rookie with miniDSP. but i have some experience in DIY audio and DIY speakers.

problem is:
i am using these old (but nice) EX4 Speakers from Intertechnik and i want to change the cabinet because the speakers must be placed directly on the wall. it is all about the woman :(

i want to do this with:
2x miniDSP 2x4 ( 4 way crossover software)
1x UMIK-1
1x 4 channel amp
1x 2 channel amp

my question is: how to regulate the volume for the speakers ?
background of the question is that the signal must be converted from analog to digital. so the quality of the output of this process depends on the input volume. as far as i know the quantization of the analog signal is done best with a fixed input volume. but i have to use a preamp to regulate the volume. and this regulated output voltage is also the input voltage for the miniDSP channels (left/right). if the volume is not loud, i think i have a bad quantization and also a bad result in sound quality. if the volume is loud the quantization is perfect and also the sound is perfect.

maybe i am thinking wrong. or my setup is not perfect.

- should i use other miniDSP hardware ?
- what is your experience with this problem ?

best regards

Unlikely.
With the existing hardware it would be a silly trade-off of resources.

If they have something new in the development phase then maybe it's possible.
Time will tell.

Dave.

They really ought to. Digital standards wait for nobody. I will put off investing in minidsp for time being, do not wish to spend money I do not yet have for multiple DACS and so much wire....oh Tesla where are you when we need you most?

Questions for miniDSP:

- boards using SHARC advertise that they use 32-bit floating point math, yet the ADI processors are capable of doing 40-bit math. Does you software only use 32-bit and if so why not 40-bit?

- for both fixed point and floating point processors, are results passed from one operation/filter to another at full precision or are they truncated to shorter word length at each transfer?

- on all boards, is the final data leaving the DSP and going to the DAC dithered or just truncated to 24 (?) bits?

thanks

Hi all, I bought a few minidsp components years ago and finally I am ready to get it going, after life got in the way for a while.

Here is what I have:
MiniDSP 2x8 kit board with miniDIGI pre-installed.
3 miniAMP kit boards

Here is what I want to do: connect all 3 miniAMP boards up to the miniDSP 2x8 board/ miniDIGI, so all 8 channels are running the miniAMPs via I2S.

Here are my questions:
1. Do I simply stack all 3 miniAMPs on top of the miniDIGI on top of the 2x8, making a 'superstack' of 5 boards?

2. If I do a 'superstack', do I simply line up all the I2S inputs and join them with one strip of ribbon cable with several connectors spread along its length? And ditto for the outputs? Or do I need to run them input=>output=>input=>output etc? (I think it is the former, but I thought I had better ask)

3. If a 'superstack' is not advisable, where do I make the split? Between the 2x8 and the miniDIGI, or between the miniDIGI and the 3 miniAMPs?

4. I know that the stacked miniAMP boards only need power (18VDC/2.5A per board) to one of them and the ribbon connectors will run power to the other two. But is there any danger that the miniDSP 2x8 board's power supply will try to power the miniAMPs when they are all connected by I2S ribbons? I am assuming that it is only the miniAMPs that can share power through the I2S ribbons and the ribbons between miniDIGI and miniAMPs are protected against feeding DC power between them?

5. I notice that the miniAMP has several possible configurations including a '4x10W SE' mode. In this mode, can it accept 4 different inputs? It seems logical, but I just wanted to be sure that it isn't limited to 2 channels of input.

6. Similar to qn 5, the miniAMP also has a '2.1' mode of output, comprising 2x10W SE and 1x20W BTL outputs. Can that accept 3 different inputs? Or does the 20W BTL output have to be a kind of subwoofer 'low pass' of the other 2? I doubt it, but I just want to ask.

Hoping someone can help out here, I am finally champing at the bit to make this happen!

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.