Will this lamp work in my projector?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Marantz VP-12S4 720P projector. While I would like to upgrade to a 1080p projector, I don't see any that I like at a price that I can afford. I tried the Chinese bulb route from this site a while back but I was unable to do a clean job of installing it into the reflector. I tried relampit.com and they just gave me a refund after three lamps that they sent (the second two being warranty replacements) failed very quickly and stopped even listing Marantz on their site. The setup worked perfectly with the stock lamp so I am confident that they were failing because the parts were either low quality or not the right part (AC lamps perhaps?). I wanted to put in a metal halide at one point but I was talked out of it and now understand why that wouldn't work out well (and why MH isn't as good).

Okay, so Projector Central says I have a 200w DC mercury vapor lamp: Marantz Projectors: Marantz VP-12S4 DLP projector

I am aware of the difference between AC and DC in these lamps, and I know that most of them are AC, which won't work with my ballast.

I measured the reflector to be 65x70mm. It's a P22 reflector. I couldn't measure the depth because the lamp itself is not in the reflector.

So the only lamp that I have found that looks potentially right to me - the right wattage, the right reflector (I think), and DC, is this: https://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/UHP-DC-200W-P22A

Do you guys think it will work? Also, is that a reliable site? Or do you know any others that are better?

Thanks,

Dan

I believe that this is a UHP lamp that vents at or through the rear. This may be why you have had problems with failing lamps. My guess is they worked great for the first 10 or so minutes and then they Popped! I am also guessing that the replacement lamps DIDN'T have the little vent slotted piece that is glued to the front of the reflector.. If this is the case It looks like this lamp might work for you but ONLY If your lamp looks like this one pictured with the off yellow reflector and it vents at the rear. This was a great way to concentrate the air flow onto cooling the lamp but the lamp reflectors were so much more expensive than the sealed UHP lamps that it was cost prohibitive. I would call the company and MAKE sure the lamp you are buying looks Like this and is not a sealed non rear vented lamp. Bottom line is if your original lamp had this kind of rear piece you need to replace it with one that is similar.
Hope this helps

Bohanna

Hmm, is that supposed to be off yellow? Mine isn't. I didn't realize that some lamps were; I figured it was just the picture. And mine has two notches at the front by the glass to vent, so I think it's different than the one that I linked. Also, the glass piece has some sort of metal thingie clipped onto one side. Not very big.

This is the only 200W DC P22 lamp I have found online. There are plenty on that site that don't say DC but I assume those won't work.

Last edited:
Does your lamp vent out of the rear or is it a solid cemented piece at the stem?
What does your lamp have for numbers on it??
Can you post a picture of the lamp? I believe that UHP lamps are AC. They replaced the older Metal halide DC lamps that were DC but I am not 100% sure of this
Was I correct about the replacement lamps you tried Popping?

Bohanna

http://www.sosdan.com/marantzlamp1.jpg
http://www.sosdan.com/marantzlamp2.jpg

There is absolutely no text anywhere on the reflector. I know some do, but not this one. I do not have the capsule that was in there before, so I can't tell about that.

One replacement lamp worked but had TONS of flicker. One was DOA. One blew after a month or two.

Could ProjectorCentral just be wrong about it being DC? The guy who was selling the "BSM" Chinese lamps did have "BSM-DC" lamps.

My guess is the one that you listed would work since it DOES vent through the rear but the little metal tab attached to the front of your original indicates that this MAY be the way air gets funneled into the lamp so as Long as the intake vent on the replacement lamp lines up with the projectors air path you are good to go. Either way you really have an odd duck lamp. I HAVE never seen anything quite like it. The lamp may be a UHP but the reflector is a bit weird (to say the least). The flicker could be from a knock off lamp or you got a lamp with an older metal halide element. I have seen them flicker and fail before as they are put in a place where there is a UHP Ballast. Look at the light chamber is see if you can see how the air gets INTO the lamp and if it will line up with the new Lamp.

Bohanna

I got an email from Aaron @ Interlight that basically says he can't make a recommendation because there is no useful identification on my current reflector. I am still not sure if I want to spend the money to try this out. I would like to get this projector working for (significantly) less than $700, but I am a bit worried that I might be wasting the money if this doesn't work out.

Any second opinions?

Thanks

dude I think your are screwed. I think that the lamp you referenced in your first post was a UHP which I beleive is AC and the animal you are looking for is an SHP which is DC. It looks like they BOTH vent through the rear but I don't think that a UHP will work for you . I also read some where that the projector uses the ONLY DC lamp in the industry. Sorry to be the bearer of Bad news

Bohanna

What does it matter if a lamp says UHP or SHP, as long as it is DC? I'm sure the colors won't be the exact same between manufacturers, but can they really be THAT different?

Yes they are different. The Philips UHP is AC I beleive and the NSH and SHP are DC. The ballasts that drive them are different. I have seen the same Exact projector body with two different Ballasts for two different lamps.

The PLC sp10N has a 160 watt metal halide lamp that vents at the rear which I believe is the NSH -SHP type

The PLC xp10NA has the 150 watt UHP Lamp that is sealed and gets cooled by osmosis

This also might explain why the lamps you are trying are failing.

Bohanna

Lamp on Left sanyo PLC-Sp20N 160 watt Metal Halide rear vented
Lamp on Right Sanyo xp10NA 150 watt Philips UHP sealed

Bohanna:):eek:

Attachments

• Sanyo Lamp and housing.JPG
    Sanyo Lamp and housing.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 95
So I guess either I pay $700 for a Marantz lamp or this projector is useless... I'm not sure I'd consider this projector worth $700. It's too dim and only 720p. It matters very much with what I do - I want a 110" screen @ 7' for Forza 4. 1080p would be a significant upgrade over 720p anyway.

Now I'll have to see if I can sell the thing for super cheap...

But still, the lamp I linked... it says DC...

So I guess either I pay $700 for a Marantz lamp or this projector is useless... I'm not sure I'd consider this projector worth $700. It's too dim and only 720p. It matters very much with what I do - I want a 110" screen @ 7' for Forza 4. 1080p would be a significant upgrade over 720p anyway.

This thing has confounded the hell out of me!!!! :eek: It seems like the people at Runco think their customers have litterly money to burn! 700.00 for a lamp is SOOOOOO freaking way over the top it Boggles the imagination!!! It also explains why these things sell for so cheap used!! Any buyer will worry if the thing is going to work and for how long!!!!!! Seriously!!!!!! It seems like they built an albatross. Maybe the guy who designed the Edsel had a hand in its design!!!!!!!!

Bohanna :eek:

Let me know what you decide to do. If the price is right I may be interested in toying with this beast!!

Bohanna:usd:

That's what I was hoping, considering it is the lamp that I originally linked ;) Do you think it's got enough of a chance of working that I should buy it? I really, really don't want to spend $150 if it turns out to be the wrong part. But there is not as much interest in this projector at the price I was hoping. Like I said, I am getting views/watchers but zero bids as of yet :/

I'm a little south of Worcester... are you in the area?

Last edited:
This is the lamp that goes in the proxima 6850 that inputs air from the bottom and vents to the rear . I would call the people at the site and see if this is the exact same one they are selling. I would also look at where yours inputs air and see if the airpaths line up. As long as there is an airflow you shouldn't be conserned it there are no exact holes that line up. As long as there is airflow you should be good to go. FYI I have taken a vented front and sealed back UHP lamp and drilled out some of the rear cement so it can vent and it works fine.
Hope this Helps

Bohanna

BTW I am on the south shore in the Cohasset area.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.