any way to fix the ribbon cable?!?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bones2 said:
damnit projector was almsot done and i cut a bit of the ribbon cable that goes from the lcd to the control board, unbelievable i just knew someonthing like this would happen. is there any way to fix it or am i out of luck

Here is how I repair them. In fact I will go ahead and repair one now and take pictures as I go along.

This is a cable from a Kenwood flip-face deck I repaired the other day (I replaced the cable).

Attachments

• imgp2223.jpg
    imgp2223.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,584
Carefully scrape the top protective layer from over the broken traces only and back from the break point by as short a distance as you feel you can reasonably solder to, but no more than 1/8" on each side of the break.
An X-Acto knife is a good choice for this if you do not have a favorite scraping tool.

Attachments

• imgp2225.jpg
    imgp2225.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,210
Carefully "tin" the exposed copper traces on both sided of the break.

You may get a bridge of solder connecting two or more parallel traces. Do not attempt to remove any solder bridges' you may get between the traces, with any method other than solder wick or you will only cause yourself grief.

Place the wick on the solder bridge, then heat the wick with your soldering iron (use a low wattage <25 watt iron and a small tip) to draw up the excess solder.

Attachments

• imgp2230.jpg
    imgp2230.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,898
Now comes the tricky part. Locate the finest gauge of solid copper wire that will fit within each trace and strip back the insulation. The best tool for this is a sharp pair of flush cutters.
Carefully close them on the insulation just enough to score it on both sides, then turn the wire 90 degrees and make a second set of scores. Now close the cutters gently into a pair of scores and draw it towards the end of the wire. The insulation should come off, leaving bare wire behind. It takes a delicate touch, but once learned it will save you much time.

Strip a length of wire long enough to do several traces, and then tin the wire.

Attachments

• imgp2232.jpg
    imgp2232.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,823
Lay the wire along a trace with the end going no further than the uncovered portion of the trace. Touch the iron to the end of the wire briefly to tack it into place. Now move to the other side of the break, and carefully solder the wire to the trace. Unless you are already a master at soldering, this will take patience. Stick with it.

Attachments

• imgp2233.jpg
    imgp2233.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,816
When you are satisfied that the wire has been wetted to the trace and does not contact any adjacent traces, place the tip of your X-Acto blade on the wire at the point where the solder joint ends and GENTLY press just hard enough to score the wire. Now wiggle the wire and it will soon break free of the now repaired trace.

Attachments

• imgp2236.jpg
    imgp2236.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,538
After you are done, and have made continuity checks to insure there are no solder bridges between adjacent traces, it would be a good idea to place a layer of flexible adhesive/sealant over the repair area. RTV silicone is a choice, and so is hot melt glue in a pinch.

I hope this helps you out.

Attachments

• imgp2238.jpg
    imgp2238.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,542
Indeed that is tricking, i've had simiiliar problems. But for anyone else needing to so such a repair. I suggest using the wire that comes out of those cheap earbud headphones. they have a very flexible wire conductor. its coated with some layer to keep it non-conductive. Just tin at ends and attach at points needed to connect.

isnt it just possible to soldier normal wire to the PCB where the flex cable normally plugs into the socket thing? Just to reconnect the trazks on the flex that are broken?

I did this with the flex on a mini tv i was playing with, infact i got rid of the flex all together and cause i totally messed it up and just soldiered about 12 wires instead of the flex

sorry about my bad use of words, i dont know what these things are called :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.