Allo Allo!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good morning all!

As requested I am here to write a little introduction to myself. My name, in case you hadn't guessed is Ian. I live near Manchester in the UK, but lived as a youngster in Houston, Texas for eight years.

I am also a physicist, they seem to be ten a penny, and as someone amusingly said to make sure we stay honest we have electrical engineers watching over us… which is nice! :D

From what I can gather from my mother I was basically born with a screwdriver in my hands and she had to start teaching me to unplug things, because if it could be taken apart I would take it apart… it took many years before I learnt how to put things back together again! I started getting interested in audio reproduction around the age of 8 or 9 and I have been doing little experiments ever since, including building a pair of speakers as part of my school work, collecting hi-fi and I have engineered for a number of local bands over the last 7 years.

As for my aims, well I came here looking for an interesting speaker project having stumbled across a few ideas on the internet and now I am ready to stump up some cash to build a GainClone as well! So after years of lusting after an all Audiolab and Monitor Audio setup I am know going to see if I can better it with my bare hands!

For interest I have the CDM, DAX, S and SX with MA Silver 9i.

I have decided I would like to construct a pair of speakers using the ScanSpeak 8531 and 9500/9700 as a two way, a bit like “Newbie’s Latest Project”. I have downloaded all the software from the FRD consortium and I am now learning to use it.

So that is me in a nutshell!

Cheers,

Ian

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Good morning Ian, and welcome to diyAudio. :)

Two more, (free), programs you might like to look at, Speaker Workshop, and Unibox. As for gainclones, they are many and varied, but a good start might be an LM3875 wired point to point with no PCB. Cheap, cheerful, and pretty good SQ.

Thanks for the informaiton.

I have got a copy of unibox and I'll look into Speaker Workshop. Thankfully I have a bit of time to get my ideas together as it'll be after Christmas when I build the speakers, though I have some Vifa and Seas drivers I wouldn't mind having some fun with in the mean time.

I quite liked the look of the kits available from MadAboutSound, they are very tidy and so far people seem to have good things to say about them. However, this is probably just the starting point!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.