Hi there (kind of)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I thought at least maybe I can say hello to everyone now that I have been jugded as an idiot in my very first post and it was closed on me before I got to say anything.(very disapointed at this fourm at the moment)

My name screen name is ifrythings because I had a poor computer psu that cooked $600 of brand new stuff on first power on... (and no I did not mod it or even take it apart)

and second it was free at the time cause David was already used.

Anyways a bit about me, I currently work in a electronic repair shop fixing basic consumer appliances.

I have not took any major courses in electricity but I do know the safety inside out.

P.S if a moderator could please open my thread back up so I could at least give a little more information about what I am trying to do and what I'm using (if anyone ever reads this)

Oh and one last thing why is it all the fourms I go to never have spell check?? some of use (including me) spell like ..... (you know what I mean)

ifrythings said:
Well I thought at least maybe I can say hello to everyone now that I have been jugded as an idiot in my very first post and it was closed on me before I got to say anything.(very disapointed at this fourm at the moment)
Idiot is not the right word, more like ignorant, inexpert, unknowing, unskilled, untaught, untutored. Choose the right word. You know way too little to do what you are planning to do. 12 V 50 A from the mains is nothing suitable for a newbeginner. First you must study safety regulations just for your own safety. You must a little about safety at least and from you have shown so far.... I think you can guess. You claim that you know about safety but what you are up to is a no no and you should know it.

Get yourself a 300-500 VA isolation transformer and then start with something smaller like 1-5 A.

If you don't manage to get your _very_ simple 12 v regulator to work, a SMPS is over your top right now I'm afraid and this has nothing to do as being an idiot. When you start a project it's good the be objective about your abilities, am I good at this, do I know some or do I know absolutely nothing?

Pretty many here are rather helpful only if you avoid stuff which is powered directly from the mains. If you insist, don't tell anyone :idea:

Hi David,

I'm the mod who closed your thread. As you no doubt gathered, it was on a subject (use of non-isolated mains) that we are rather careful with. If I had seen the post initially, I would not have passed it and would have sent you a PM explaining why. By the time I saw it, it had already attracted 2 replies and I thought it best to leave it to our members, who duly gave some good advice, though not all in a good tone.

If you want to discuss your needs and get advice, I suggest you start a new thread, perhaps linking back to the old one if necessary.

Don't worry about asking questions that may sound stupid, anyone who mocks them is the real idiot. There are plenty of competent members who will help you.

Regarding spell checking, you could type your reply in a wordprocessor document or email package, and copy n paste. Many people do this, as it also has the advantage that you don't loose your typing if a timeout occurs.

Enjoy diyAudio :)

Hmmm so if I have this right, you guys thought I was useing raw mains with no isolation transformer? If this is correct then I'm sorry to everyone for not saying that I am using an isolation transformer (500VA) with a variac before it.

So the reason why if I make a thread and it doesn't show up till a few hours later is because you have to check it or before you allow it?(just wondering)

Well I have to admit that it looked to me that you were using raw mains.;) I'm really glad you're not.

New members have their first few posts checked by mods. We check the post queue occasionally, but it's not a full-time job for any of us, so there may be times when the post goes through almost instantly, and others that take longer. Attachments can take longer still because they have to be downloaded then uploaded, frustrated by a lack of time or a slow connection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.