Greetings from Netherlands

New user from Netherlands here, greetings to all:)

Have always enjoyed music, but never got round to getting a high quality setup at home. Interested in building my own, great to find a place where there seem to be so many helpful people willing to share their knowledge and experience.

First order of business will be:
- Obtain cheap DAC/Mic interface, measurement mic, replace Volumio RPi3 with RPi4 for BruteFir capabilities -> practice measuring, create filters in REW, try to squeeze max performance out of current old, boomy, muddy sounding setup.

In the (semi) long run I'd like to design and build:
- 3-way TL for our living room
- 2-way for 2.1 setup for our small but cozy (one couch for max 3 people) home cinema.

These will be active (with hypex fusion).

Currently reading:
- this site :)
- Murphy, J.L. - Introduction to Loudspeaker Design;
- Weems, D.B. - Designing, Building and Testing your own speaker system;
- MJK articles (including the TL alignment one)

Also happily modeling away in Hornresp, figuring out what variable influences what (loudspeaker wizard is excellent for this) and trying different drivers in enclosures modeled after results from MJK alignment paper.

What I look forward to:
- Learning, discovering;
- Having top-sounding system that is custom built and designed for our living spaces and having the satisfaction that I did it.

What I have resigned myself to:
- DIY is expensive. I doubt there is anything to gain in parts expenses (wholesale B2B prices vs individual purchase of drivers, and DIY channel is maybe even B-stock?). And if there is anything to be gained from cost perspective, it's a still a fallacy due to time investment.

What I find challenging:
- Directivity. For a larger room with less than ideal speaker placement due to WAF and no particular intended sweet-spot, is wide dispersion prefered? This would mean dome mid range, no? Because wider diameter cone mid range = more beaming + waveguided tweeter to match = a narrower angles before response starts to drop.
- choosing a mid for a three way taking the above into consideration.