Hey I'm not a dog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've gotten a lot of info lurking this forum over the years so I'm finally joining up to, ideally, give back a bit. As well as continue to learn. Never know what someone will be searching for and nothing worse than finding a "nvm I figured it out".

My Bon Fides: started my HiFi journey being a broke college student and trying to fix a Sidewalk Sansui. Blew up a filter cap in my apartment. Got a job in a repair shop to learn and grew muscles lifting CRTs to the bench. Didn't learn or earn much. Got a better job pulling low-voltage and that morphed into selling. Managed to spend a day at Srajan Ebaen's place in Taos and heard some mind-boggling gear. He was supremely graceful and patient with a young guy that fetishized his Avantgarde Acoustic Duos. I'll never forget his generosity. Moved to NY and got a job at Not-6th-Ave-Audio, learned a lot, heard a lot, went to places such as Sumiko and Krell labs. Quit all that and did other things for a couple decades, but still built the occasional chip amp for fun. Started with reading about the Lepai, modding it, getting into the 311x chips and seeing what they can do. Quite a bit for my money.

Having seen and heard and exploded my fair share of equipment I've found a lot of Audiophile stuff is ********. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment on this forum. I've crafted my own opinion of "what sounds good" and my own theories on how that is achieved. One example, power. If your DC is lousy your amp is lousy. But I also appreciate craft, and leave room for aesthetics and beauty in my judgement of equipment and projects. The eyes, ears, and nose all play together. They make the concert hall pretty for a reason.

I am a huge fan of full-range speakers. Started with some 4" Fostex SOLs and have played with cheap no-name Chinese stuff and MAudios. Can't beat the coherence, sound-stage, and uniformity of presentation that a full-range delivers. At the end of the day I want to enjoy music, not analyze it. The setups I've put together with FR speakers allow me both, frankly.

So I'm building a big, fancy pair of speakers and I'll share the project here for any that might be interested. I'm not sure of the etiquette on this forum regarding sourcing or naming companies, I assume most will be aware of who I got the kit from.

Might share some of my amps when I'm pleased with them.

Test to see how posting images works:

Attachments

• pell4.gif
    pell4.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 2j3fxjt.jpg
    2j3fxjt.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 112
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.