Hello My name is Brad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. My name is Brad. I have been lurking around this site for many years(about 20). Back in my teenage years, I was really into home and car audio during the early to late 1990's. Now that I am a married homeowner, I have an interest in building a few projects for my house and as well as my cars. A lot has changed since the late 1990's, and I would like to catch up on the current technology. Back in the 1990's I was a huge Cerwin Vega fan, and I am currently a fan today. Going back 25 to 30 years ago, I remember amplifier power was quite expensive being between $2-$5 per watt. Today, I see that there are amps out there with a lot of power for significantly less money. I also see many new companies out there. I am glad to start posting, as I have so many questions since I was active building stereo systems over 20 years ago. Thank you Brad

I've always been around.

I have been around for awhile. I was just a lurker, reading the many project build posts and answers to many questions. I didn't join right away because much of the questions I had many years ago were answered. I really like to use the search function to get answers instead of asking common questions.

Life has a way of making a person extremely busy with family and career. I am from an area just 15 minutes north of Pittsburgh.

Going back 20-30 years ago, I can remember quite a few audio products out there I liked. Now, I see many newer companies coming out with items influenced by modern technology. I am familiar with basic speaker modeling programs, but now I downloaded "Hornresp", and I see there is a steep learning curve involved with it's use. I've always built different ported cabinets, but now I am mainly interested in 6th order bandpass and the related various Horn enclosures. I never did really care for sealed/acoustic suspension type boxes. I am going to have to read more about how to use Hornresp.

I asked a question in the "Subwoofer" forum regarding the current trend of companies(specifically car audio) using higher QTS drivers(.45 up to .9) in ported and 6th order alignments. In the past back 20-30 years ago, it seemed people only used lower QTS drivers(.4 and under) for ported/6th order boxes. Now I see many companies are suggesting high QTS subs for ported and 6th order boxes. I can't understand why, but the only reason I know is that the higher QTS will require a lower Fb and F3 for a given Fs. I elaborate with more questions in the thread/post in the "Subwoofer" forum.

Anyways, I plan to build a 6th order series BP for my cars, in order to port it through the rear parcel deck or ski pass. I am also interested in building multiple home theatre systems for 3-4 areas in my house. I would like to build ported, 6th order parallel, and compound horns for speakers in my house. Hence the need for learning how to use Hornresp.

thanks.. Brad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.