Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Hi from San Francisco bay area!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2020, 07:43 PM   #1
chrisjmartini is online now chrisjmartini  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hi from San Francisco bay area!

Ex audiophile in my younger years (in taste, not budget) in the early 1990's. I was a musician/singer with a passion for all things high fidelity. Also an ex audiophile grade hifi salesman in my much younger years (circa 1988 - think Dahlquist DQM-9's, Carver & Crown).

Moving around quite a bit over my life I have more or less shed the large speakers and separate A/V components for smaller, more practical solutions, like wireless bluetooth headphones and small compact speakers. I sold my last proper hifi equipment back in 1998 (A Yamaha natural sound integrated amp A-1020 & some KEF 103/4 speakers KEF - Reference Series Model 103/4 (1992-95) - United States

I am now in a position where I find myself missing a proper home audio system and want to take up this hobby again.

This should be interesting, as I am currently in a 800 sq ft apartment with a small living room. I have a 60 inch 4k Samsung tv and currently just use the built in speakers, ugh. I live on a very busy, noisy street. Though I want some speakers that sound just as great at normal or low volume (neighbors) as they do at higher volumes. Yeah, so... Need to remedy the situation!

When I was younger I had a keen interest in speaker building and did have some projects back in the late 70's and 80's. I want to either build a new set of speakers (larger bookshelf sized on stands) by doing one of the following:

1. Refurbishing and rebuilding a set of vintage/used speakers

OR

2. Building a custom set from a flat pack knock down kit (I have no space or tools for woodworking so need to buy cabinets already built).

I have some electronics engineering knowledge dating from the late 1980's, so that should help. The kind of amplifier solution I put in place will be largely determined by the type of speakers I build: powered or passive... Not sure about whether it will be a simple 2 speaker setup or a full blown dolby atmos surround experience. I am leaning towards an excellent imaging 2 speaker system with a good soundstage that will serve both music and video duties.

Anyhow, great to meet you all!!!
Old 10th May 2020, 09:11 PM   #2
lindamar is offline lindamar  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hello, welcome
Hola, bienvenido

.Pepe.
Old 10th May 2020, 09:47 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hello Chris, welcome to the forum! We have traveled similar audio paths. Nice to meet you.
Old 10th May 2020, 10:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamar
Hello, welcome
Hola, bienvenido

.Pepe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano
Hello Chris, welcome to the forum! We have traveled similar audio paths. Nice to meet you.
Thank you both for the warm welcome!
Old 11th May 2020, 11:03 AM   #5
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Europe
diyAudio Member

Welcome.

Benvingut.
Old 11th May 2020, 05:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Welcome.

Benvingut.
Thank you!

Hi from San Francisco bay area!Hide this!Advertise here!