Looks like I am going to mod... again...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
During young years my HiFi was very simple and inexpensive: turntable and a DIY solid state class AB amp. When I moved to South Africa, it was already prominent shift to CD's, but I didn't like a digital sound, so I delayed my decision till 2000 when I had to. I tried to find CD player, but encountered the same problem as before. Then a friend took me to a guy who had a high-end sound system with Electrocompaniet CD player, Krell amplifier and number of power conditioning devices. A turntable still had more natural sound, but I knew that what I was looking for was possible...

I picked up an inexpensive player with BB PCM63 DAC, Rotel RCD971. SQ was not even similar, but it matched a 'proper' sound characteristic. Mods were very successful, some were expensive like a clock board from LC Audio.

OK, now I had to start over, DACs became more clean, but with more clean output there is even more evidence that sound is not right.

I made a quick pickup of a Topping D30 based on the ASR review, but it is an apparent fraud. When opening I found a number of cost-cutting changes comparing to the reviewed device. And it doesn't sound any good.

I started my research and I was surprised that this 'audioscience' community completely disregard physics like dielectric properties and twisted pairs concept, they still use a flat cable. It apparently shows in the thread: Speaker wire, CCA vs OFC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum. When I mentioned a name Thorsten Loesch, it became like a red flag for a bull and I was called a troll.

I am almost sure that main problem with Topping is a digital filter, following by an extensive jitter due to cost cuts, but I wanted to know opinion of an "established experts" on this issue, see: Linear Phase filter settings. Topping: How we (ASR) can help? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

It is a place of a typical Microsoft-born anticulture and these experts do not understand terms like a "false details", so I tried with my own words, using piano as an example. During the conversation someone started making comments about Totaldac, so I wanted to look at this thread: Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

The above topic is interesting, as there are evident ground loops in the measuring equipment. During more than 1500 messages members were making fun of Totaldac, but "established experts" failed to notice. Here is my initial postReview and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC | Page 79 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum, but I had to re-post again to be noticed. I am not going to comment there on a dispute, I gave them a notice of leaving, in response I was banned: Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC | Page 88 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Now, while leaving Microsoft anti-culture for good, thinking about DIY DAC. Do anyone still have any PhiDAC kit left?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.