Hello all! Newbie with newbie type questions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

I apologise in advance for doing this in the 'wrong' order, but I have run into a minor conundrum...:boggled:

I've been lurking for a while, and steadily getting more interested in building some sort of horn-type speaker enclosure.

I downloaded hornresp some years ago and have spent many hours playing with it and watching tutorials, but still really don't know how to work it very well because my basic grasp of the language of horns is non-existent...:confused:

Long story short, I had some 19mm 'yellowtongue' flooring ripped into 295mm by 1800mm lengths, and decided a 'folded horn' would be just the thing to do with them (instead of putting them on the wall...)

I have three subwoofer speakers at my disposal, two 12" and a 10" Kicker 'Impulse' from the early 90's. The 12's wouldn't fit in the width of the pre-cut shelves, and I couldn't find any specs for the Kicker to put into hornresp....

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=773720&stc=1&d=1565345114

...So in a fit of creativity, I just decided to just "do it by eye".

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=773719&stc=1&d=1565345018

Trouble is, it took twice as long as I thought it would to do all the routing (all day!) and I breathed about 1kg of dust...

Tomorrow I start cutting the boards.

So my big question is, to avoid having to do it all again, should I get the specs for the (Jaycar 'response' or Alpine 2x2ohm coil) 12" subs, and cut another few sheets of flooring (to perhaps 350mm?) and try to use science to locate the speaker?

...or should I just throw the Kicker in the 295mm boards I have already existing and hope for the best?

If the science is bad... will the sound be REALLY bad?

I have no idea, but I'm hoping to hear any input from the more experienced builders here!

(Is this too much information for the introduction section?)

I don't have enormous expectations for this, I almost never turn the volume of music to a level that requires raising your voice to talk over the top of, but I do like a bit of low frequency 'WHOOOOM' in the background.
My current stereo goes almost silent at 35hz, if I got anything audible at 25-30 I'd be as pleased as punch.:)

Image at right shows 'spare' speakers ...too wide for the pre-cut shelves I was hoping to use. (10" Kicker Impulse (not shown) does fit however)

I suppose the big question is; If I continue with my current plan, what is the likelihood that I will end up having built a giant paperweight?
:confused::tilt:

Attachments

• IMG_2450small.jpg
    IMG_2450small.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2451small.jpg
    IMG_2451small.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for the welcome guys!

I spent more time modelling last night and figured out that the low end response flattens out and gets 'better' with the speaker quite close to the end where the horn is still rather narrow, and gets even better with a bit of a chamber on the other side of the entry point, which I might be able to add on later if I need it...

I'm going to go with the 10 as planned, wish me luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.