Greetings from valve tube land

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, everyone.

I'm a music lover at the core, and have been for a long time. I started my journey in the '80s with a silver-face Kenwood receiver, Realistic Minimus 7 speakers, a Sony Discman, and a Technics dual cassette deck, and accumulated a substantial collection of tapes and optical discs. During the early '00s, I bought into the virtual media craze, and sold most of my physical media and gear, but ended up regretting this series of choices. Computer speakers playing MP3 and AAC content never sounded as satisfying as I remembered my old system to have been. Relatively low-resolution files were fine through earbuds, and mediocre through diminutive speakers, but I limited my listening to these formats for years.

In 2011, I encountered a very special opportunity. My father offered to give me a pair of non-functional Marantz Model 5 power amps that had been collecting dust in his garage for more than 25 years. They were mine, provided that I could fix them, and that I would not simply sell them. I have years of experience repairing automobiles, computers, and other electromechanical devices, so I started reading, and set to work. All carbon composition resistors were replaced with high-tolerance carbon or metal film, selenium bias rectifiers were replaced with diodes and dropping resistors, and all capacitors were replaced with higher-tolerance, modern equivalents, hidden in the respective chassis of each amp.

I acquired a Dynaco PAS3X, and administered a similar treatment, with new stock-design driver boards and power supply components, and used parts from Bob Crites to refurbish a pair of Klisch Heresy I speakers. A Thorens TD 145 provides LP and 45 playback capability. Component synergy was the goal.

I have DVD player that could be used to spin CDs, but I took a different approach to digital playback. I ripped all my CDs to lossless files on a Mac Mini, and use Airplay to stream to an AppleTV with an optical output. A modest Fiio DAC ties the 21st Century technology to the tube gear, and an iPad serves as a remote control. The digital source setup works very well, and brings modern convenience to a system rooted in technology from the '50s, '60s, and '70s.

I suspect that I'll fit in around here. Cheers! :nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.