Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Total Noob - And I Am a Believer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2019, 07:01 PM   #1
Martin L is offline Martin L
diyAudio Member

Default Total Noob - And I Am a Believer

Hi Everybody!

So... when i say total noob I mean I knocked togwther one kit with my dad when I was in high school

I have a background in DJ and also live setup and guitar work, recording and mixinf and I own a VERY modest reference system to at least be able to enjoy accurate playback in one room.

I am interested in building for many reasons, not least that I also want to become better at woodworking (its been 20 years since I built even a cupboard) and second, I visit little DIY meetings twice a year and I have consistently found impressive results from many builders, and am confident I can also achieve such great results with some guidance and a lot of practice.

For now I actually just want to figure out what tools I want to invest in, and choose a simple proven design to start with. I am really thinking a full range system will be a good start, gives me some more time to digest info on crossovers which seems a tricky bit. I am very taken with the idea of building super efficient speakers that dont need much power, that means I light consider learning to build some tube amps someday and be able to use them well. Now wouldnt that be a treat 👌

I am in no rush with any steps to take, I would prefer to be proud of what I did over having done it quickly.

Looking forward to meeting the community and learning from you all!
Old 6th February 2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to diyAudio Martin
Old 7th February 2019, 06:02 AM   #3
lindamar is offline lindamar  Spain
diyAudio Member

Welcome
Hola, bienvenido

.Pepe.
Old 7th February 2019, 10:24 PM   #4
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Europe
diyAudio Member

Welcome

Benvingut
Old 7th February 2019, 10:35 PM   #5
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
diyAudio Member

Welcome, Martin.
I would suggest, at a bare minimum, you get a circular saw, a jigsaw, and a drill (or two). From there, a router (and circle-jig), a sander, and a table saw are great tools to get. I also have a bandsaw, drill press, circular saw guide, belt sander, biscuit jointer, planer, and a lot of jigs and small hand tools. A nice assortment of screws is great as well as clamps (and more clamps, and more clamps...), and decent wood glue are other items you'll need.
What is your plan for using the speakers? There are A LOT of great designs, both full-range single-driver and multi-way. I like full-range for near field and multi-way for more of a room-filling sound. Others have different likes, and you'll develop your own as you listen to more speakers.
This beauty of this hobby is in the ear of the beholder, so take everything you're told with that in mind. I've found certain designers I like more than others, so I tend to look at their designs and ask for their advice.
Where are you located? There might be another hobbyist nearby that can let you hear a few different designs.
Have fun and welcome!
Mike
HiFiMeDIY T3 amp, FiiO DAC, HP Laptop source, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers and Core Two-Ways, Jeff Bagby's Continuums, Bjorn's TABAQs with the Dayton PS95 ... and a set of 60 year-old worn out ears from 1959

Total Noob - And I Am a BelieverHide this!Advertise here!