Total Noob - And I Am a Believer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everybody!

So... when i say total noob I mean I knocked togwther one kit with my dad when I was in high school :eek:

I have a background in DJ and also live setup and guitar work, recording and mixinf and I own a VERY modest reference system to at least be able to enjoy accurate playback in one room.

I am interested in building for many reasons, not least that I also want to become better at woodworking (its been 20 years since I built even a cupboard) and second, I visit little DIY meetings twice a year and I have consistently found impressive results from many builders, and am confident I can also achieve such great results with some guidance and a lot of practice.

For now I actually just want to figure out what tools I want to invest in, and choose a simple proven design to start with. I am really thinking a full range system will be a good start, gives me some more time to digest info on crossovers which seems a tricky bit. I am very taken with the idea of building super efficient speakers that dont need much power, that means I light consider learning to build some tube amps someday and be able to use them well. Now wouldnt that be a treat 👌

I am in no rush with any steps to take, I would prefer to be proud of what I did over having done it quickly.

Looking forward to meeting the community and learning from you all!

Welcome, Martin.
I would suggest, at a bare minimum, you get a circular saw, a jigsaw, and a drill (or two). From there, a router (and circle-jig), a sander, and a table saw are great tools to get. I also have a bandsaw, drill press, circular saw guide, belt sander, biscuit jointer, planer, and a lot of jigs and small hand tools. A nice assortment of screws is great as well as clamps (and more clamps, and more clamps...), and decent wood glue are other items you'll need.
What is your plan for using the speakers? There are A LOT of great designs, both full-range single-driver and multi-way. I like full-range for near field and multi-way for more of a room-filling sound. Others have different likes, and you'll develop your own as you listen to more speakers.
This beauty of this hobby is in the ear of the beholder, so take everything you're told with that in mind. I've found certain designers I like more than others, so I tend to look at their designs and ask for their advice.
Where are you located? There might be another hobbyist nearby that can let you hear a few different designs.
Have fun and welcome!
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.