Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

I've a lot to learn.....
I've a lot to learn.....
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2019, 08:30 PM   #1
SAMMYFARRIS is offline SAMMYFARRIS
diyAudio Member

Default I've a lot to learn.....

Hello everyone,

Thus begins the journey that I wanted to begin many years ago, but just could not justify the time (other pursuits/interests/hobbies got in the way).

This will be a long road, but I think with the help and support of others here, I should be able to attain my end-goal; a well-informed audiophile armed with enough information to put together a top-performing and reliable Hi-Fi audio system.

At this point, I have no idea what form my ‘perfect’ audio system will take, but as I travel on my audio journey, that form should reveal itself.

I do have some audio-related interests, which may influence my direction, but I hope I can enter into this with an open mind and end-up with a system that sounds and looks great and is a good fit for me.

Some of my audio ‘interests’:
  • Valve-based amplifiers
  • Folded horn(s) for bass reproduction
  • Full-range drivers
  • ‘Efficient’ systems (low output power => big SPL)
  • Analog signal sources

I do have a background that I think will well-suite me for this journey.
  • Associates degree in electronics
  • Half-completed electrical engineering bachelor’sdegree
  • Worked a few years assembling and modifying electronic medical diagnostic equipment
  • Designed and qualified electronic products for agricultural/construction and transportation markets
  • Currently work as an R&D NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness) technician performing sound testing on hydraulic products in a semi-anechoic chamber
  • A love of reading and research

I realize I have a lot to learn and I think coming to that realization is half the battle.

One of my favorite sayings is: “How do you eat an elephant?A bite at a time.”.

I think I’m going to be doing a lot of chewing for the next several years.

I have already started my journey by purchasing a numberof books on valve amplifiers. Two of those books are authored by Morgan Jones.I have seen some of Mr. Jones’ contributions here, so I have a feeling I have come to the right place….. J

TIA to all those that I will likely have a million questions for.

My first question is can anybody provide me some DIYAUDIO links to topics that every newbie should know so as to start with a good foundation of knowledge from which to build upon? I want to do a lot of research up-front, which should hopefully minimize the number of basic questions directed to members here and catapult me into asking higher-level questions. I don’t expect to be breast-fed; I would like to start on real-food and try to avoid eating baby-food as much as possible. J

Thanks,
Sam Farris

Last edited by SAMMYFARRIS; 24th January 2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:38 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I've a lot to learn.....
Welcome to diyAudio Sam

One must have book (imo) is the The Art of Electronics - third Edition

The Art of Electronics - third Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Paul Horowitz, Winfield Hill: 0787721907244: Books

Experience is the biggest teacher... read, learn and experiment. Get yourself a scope, a variable voltage power supply and a bag full of jellybean parts and build some basic circuits.

Good luck, and above all enjoy
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:01 PM   #3
lindamar is offline lindamar  Spain
diyAudio Member

Welcome
Bienvenido
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:20 PM   #4
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Wellcome. Your background should make you very caple of giving usefull ideas about sounddead speakerenclosure.
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:05 PM   #5
Bakert is offline Bakert
diyAudio Member

Hey Sammy,

I am only a little bit further down the road than you, though obviously your electrical experience will make learning new concepts so much easier and faster than it has been for me.

A few websites that I have found super useful have been:

The Lenard Audio Education section

The Elliott Sound Projects website - loads of plans for amps, mixers, crossovers etc.

Zaph Audio - The Commentaries & Rants section is good.

Linkwitz Lab - Website of the Late Siegfried Linkwitz - The Basics section are essential reading.

Decibel Dungeon - Nice retro website that covers stuff like upgrading hifi components as well as a real good beginner gainclone section.

I list these websites as they seem very un-dogmatic to me and they don't hide behind confusing audiophile phrases.

Enjoy!
Old 24th January 2019, 07:12 PM   #6
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Europe
diyAudio Member

Welcome

Benvingut
Old 1st February 2019, 08:50 AM   #7
JadeMeow is offline JadeMeow  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Thanks for these websites !

This is my first post. Actually I have been here for six months and read many discussions to learn more, but I find out sometimes some discussions are really too difficult for me to understand. I do not have any background for making audio. I am a newbie too. The second link seems to have a lot of articles. Hope I can chew them little by little and increase my knowledge.

I do not even have experience on making an IKEA bookshelf by myself. Any suggestion to my first kits ? It will probably take me much more time than professional players like you guys to make it done, but I am very excited to try.

Forgot to say.

Hi, all ! Nice to meet you ! ^^
Old 6th February 2019, 08:09 PM   #8
Martin L is offline Martin L
diyAudio Member

Also new and looking for those first projevts to sink my teeth into, subbed so I dont miss any of the essential early stuff haha....

I've a lot to learn.....Hide this!Advertise here!