I've a lot to learn.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

Thus begins the journey that I wanted to begin many years ago, but just could not justify the time (other pursuits/interests/hobbies got in the way).

This will be a long road, but I think with the help and support of others here, I should be able to attain my end-goal; a well-informed audiophile armed with enough information to put together a top-performing and reliable Hi-Fi audio system.

At this point, I have no idea what form my ‘perfect’ audio system will take, but as I travel on my audio journey, that form should reveal itself.

I do have some audio-related interests, which may influence my direction, but I hope I can enter into this with an open mind and end-up with a system that sounds and looks great and is a good fit for me.

Some of my audio ‘interests’:

• Valve-based amplifiers
  • Folded horn(s) for bass reproduction
  • Full-range drivers
  • ‘Efficient’ systems (low output power => big SPL)
  • Analog signal sources

I do have a background that I think will well-suite me for this journey.
  • Associates degree in electronics
  • Half-completed electrical engineering bachelor’sdegree
  • Worked a few years assembling and modifying electronic medical diagnostic equipment
  • Designed and qualified electronic products for agricultural/construction and transportation markets
  • Currently work as an R&D NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness) technician performing sound testing on hydraulic products in a semi-anechoic chamber
  • A love of reading and research

I realize I have a lot to learn and I think coming to that realization is half the battle.

One of my favorite sayings is: “How do you eat an elephant?A bite at a time.”.

I think I’m going to be doing a lot of chewing for the next several years.

I have already started my journey by purchasing a numberof books on valve amplifiers. Two of those books are authored by Morgan Jones.I have seen some of Mr. Jones’ contributions here, so I have a feeling I have come to the right place….. J

TIA to all those that I will likely have a million questions for.

My first question is can anybody provide me some DIYAUDIO links to topics that every newbie should know so as to start with a good foundation of knowledge from which to build upon? I want to do a lot of research up-front, which should hopefully minimize the number of basic questions directed to members here and catapult me into asking higher-level questions. I don’t expect to be breast-fed; I would like to start on real-food and try to avoid eating baby-food as much as possible. J

Thanks,
Sam Farris

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hey Sammy,

I am only a little bit further down the road than you, though obviously your electrical experience will make learning new concepts so much easier and faster than it has been for me.

A few websites that I have found super useful have been:

The Lenard Audio Education section

The Elliott Sound Projects website - loads of plans for amps, mixers, crossovers etc.

Zaph Audio - The Commentaries & Rants section is good.

Linkwitz Lab - Website of the Late Siegfried Linkwitz - The Basics section are essential reading.

Decibel Dungeon - Nice retro website that covers stuff like upgrading hifi components as well as a real good beginner gainclone section.

I list these websites as they seem very un-dogmatic to me and they don't hide behind confusing audiophile phrases.

Enjoy!

Thanks for these websites !

This is my first post. Actually I have been here for six months and read many discussions to learn more, but I find out sometimes some discussions are really too difficult for me to understand. I do not have any background for making audio. I am a newbie too. The second link seems to have a lot of articles. Hope I can chew them little by little and increase my knowledge.

I do not even have experience on making an IKEA bookshelf by myself. Any suggestion to my first kits ? It will probably take me much more time than professional players like you guys to make it done, but I am very excited to try.

Forgot to say.

Hi, all ! Nice to meet you ! ^^

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.