An introduction may be in order

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I've been watching and reading for a good while, and just recently started posting questions (and hope to be able to contribute to a few threads too! :D ). I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself:

I have been working in and around "audio stuff" for the last 25-ish years. I've sort of been all over the place- Around 13-14 years old I started making pocket-money installing my older brother's friend's amps and speakers in their cars. Later became a car audio installer at my local Circuit City. Soon after, I had a small AV (heavy on the "A" light on the "V") integration company called "Everything Audio" (as one might imagine) right around ~19 years old. Chased pretty girls for a few years and finally got serious and pursued EE degree because I wanted to build audio stuff.

Over my career I've learned alot and been fortunate to work with some brilliant people. I've had a chance to work on Harman HSG stuff for a short time, some Crown projects, chipamps that go in your cellphone at Cirrus, and other chipamps that go in consumer electronics around your house at TI. I've worked on some audio DSP algorithms, the GUIs that control them, and AB listening test equipment for audio.

My career has mostly been about switching amplifiers and power supplies, but now as a consultant I get a chance to work on a variety of things. Right now I am keenly interested in double blind ABx listening equipment, that makes quick apple-to-apple comparisons possible and prevents confirmation bias.

In general, I walk the line of audio enthusiast and practical engineer. I do believe everything we measure, but I also don't believe we measure everything that matters. I get frustrated with purveyors of "Unobtainium Speaker/Power Cables" and blind alegiance to most anything. Even so, I am certain that there is a collection of enthusiasts who really can here stuff they say they can hear. I've been fortunate to have met and worked with a few- some who surprised me during double-blind AB listening tests.

If you have other questions, you can message me or maybe check out my webpage or find me on LinkedIn.

Last edited:
Yessir- absolutely, there are! A lot of the knuckleheads like me “in industry” are still young (I’m in my early 40’s... hey- don’t laugh, that IS young!! :D) and so we probably spent a large amount of time on PHP Internet Forums (like this one) in college. In fact, I probably have a dead account on the DIYA system somewhere from my old college days. Of course, we are careful about what we say about our employers products, so we try to be a little cautious. I had a friend who was an apps manager and he was known to drop by and answer questions for the community on occasion. Great guy- and excellent engineer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.