Am I Getting Close?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've joined your (very) venerable ranks in search of advise and honest criticisms in my design of a pair of home speaker towers for a large listening room. I would appreciate anything you can think of, as I am in a steep learning curve of enclosure design and system configuration.

I have designed a pair of towers 48" tall, 1" thick MDF carcass and baffles to enclose 4 Scanspeak drivers each, following volumes spec'd out by Madisound with inner enclosures (individual MDF enclosures inside tower). They are truncated ellipses (flat bottom egg shaped) as to eliminate parallel sides and each inner enclosure will be beveled at corners to similar effect of eliminating parallels and 90deg. corners.
They will be separately wired and each driver amped separately, fed by: source signal (digital), MiniDSP 4x8 with RoomEQWizard and UMIK1 at initial setting up, 8 channel McIntosh amp and then to the 8 drivers.
My questions are:

Driver selection-As long as freq response on the drivers overlap and sensitivity are the close to same, are these drivers a good match and are there other factors to consider before my purchase? Is the sensitivity similarities even important?

Signal XO points- How do I determine the DSP crossover points? By ear? Will MiniDSP guide me? Is there a golden rule for XO? Like 20% above F3 for example?

Drivers are:
Scanspeak Discovery 26W/4534G 10" Aluminum Cone Woofer 4 ohm

ScanSpeak 22W/4534G00 Discovery 8" Woofer 4 ohm

Scanspeak Discovery 10F/4424G, 4" Midrange 4 ohm

ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 Tweeter Textile Dome

And just fyi I am building/designing my own enclosure for the learning opportunity and pride of build. And the 1" MDF will be built up from 3 layers of 3/8" to accommodate bending for shape.
Whatya think? Am I close?

Attachments

• IMG_2550.JPG
    IMG_2550.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 63
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.