Howdy from Chicago

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quick intro, name's Rich, from the Chicagoland area, currently freelance as an open source and Linux developer and consultant. Been a Linux developer since the mid-90s. Over the past couple of years I have worked on various media related setups for different industries & started messing around with the small computers & micro controllers. Couple of months back took one of the many Pi's I have lying around, attached one of those Pi DAC's to it, and picked up a super cheap & crappy set of USB powered speakers.

And now I'm here. For the past month I have stalked, not lurked, the amplifier and speaker forums with a vengeance. Truthfully, even with my background & love of hacking, I can find myself overwhelmed at times.

I'm looking to create my first decent setup, for desktop use, so I can listen to music while I work. I already have the home theater setup, which I rarely use because 90% of the time I am at the work bench/computer or sleeping :)

Crazy stuff in here. Do I want Class D or Class A/B? Do I just want simple full-range, or do I want multi-way? I don't need, nor really want a sub, I just want a simple, clean setup that sounds awesome. With the amps do I DIY one, or just go get something like a NAD D 3020 (v2 just came out). Do I want to spend that much for something that isn't going to be room filing & just near-field?

You see, I could keep on, but it is preventing me from stalking new posts and replies, so I gotta go!

Thanks everyone for the info I have found thus far!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.