Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Hello from the Middle of Nowhere (Maine)
Hello from the Middle of Nowhere (Maine)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Eromdix is offline Eromdix
diyAudio Member

Default Hello from the Middle of Nowhere (Maine)

Hi,

I have a new Denon AVR-X receiver with Infinity Overture 3 towers at FL, FR, SL and SR. The O3s each have an internal 200W amp driving four 6.5" woofers and a frequency range specification of 20Hz-20kHz. This was enough base to whet my appetite for more and better base.

I've been on a quest for a subwoofer driver (DIY) or a subwoofer about 2/h day for around 2 months now. I'm an electrical engineer but I think it is making the choice harder rather than easier. The more I learn the further I get from knowing what I want to build or buy for my smallish HT/music room.

So I came here.

Hi!

P.S. Looking at the HSU ULS-15 MK2 (small size, sealed, down to 20Hz) I recently started looking for a comparable driver for a DIY project, but have not found one that will give the low flat response in a sealed enclosure. Speakers with a low frequency response seem to be designed for max power and those designed for max quality don't seem to give a flat low response.

Last edited by Eromdix; 19th November 2015 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Complete dangling sentence, spelling. - Elaborated in P.S. comment.
Old 19th November 2015, 12:43 AM   #2
j.michael droke is offline j.michael droke  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Subs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eromdix View Post
Hi:I've been on a quest for a subwoofer driver (DIY) or a subwoofer... I'm an electrical engineer...So I came here. P.S. Looking at the HSU ULS-15 MK2 I recently started looking for a
Hi there E: Could not find a review of the quoted HSU sub on GOOGLE. However, an interesting article on Subwoofers can be found on the Elliott Sound Products site, goggle-it. Scroll down to project #48, while it starts about an equalizer circuit, Rod writes about the whole sub toward the end of the article. This should inform you about some basics and be interesting, given your engineering background. ...regards, Michael

Last edited by j.michael droke; 19th November 2015 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added a ,
Old 19th November 2015, 03:56 AM   #3
Eromdix is offline Eromdix
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.michael droke View Post
Hi there E: Could not find a review of the quoted HSU sub on GOOGLE. However, an interesting article on Subwoofers can be found on the Elliott Sound Products site, goggle-it. Scroll down to project #48, while it starts about an equalizer circuit, Rod writes about the whole sub toward the end of the article. This should inform you about some basics and be interesting, given your engineering background. ...regards, Michael
You're right, that is an excellent article. The original 2004 version of the article he cites in the 2008 version helped put me in the picture with what he meant by "EAS principle". That version is here:

Sub-Woofer Controller

The first stage is an RC lowpass into a switch that allows phase reversal choosing between unity gain inverting or non-inverting configurations for the input buffer stage. The buffer feeds a a Sallen-Key high-pass into cascading integrators, the configuration value selection for which I don't yet fully understand. I'll try playing with it in LTSpice ato get more familiar with the tuning.

- Good stuff.

As the HSU sealed speaker suggests, I am leaning toward a sealed designed hoping for a flat linear response that isn't subject to the establishing of resonant response amplitudes. I'm not a base volume (dB) fan. Worrying about base volume and sensitivity appears to me to be a matter of dollars. If I want more base, I'd rather add money vs. potentially comprise sound quality - even for HT. I don't need that much speaker power output in my small HT room anyway.

At least that's my take at this point, anyway. I'm still peeling the onion.

-E

Hello from the Middle of Nowhere (Maine)Hide this!Advertise here!