Hi from FL!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm jacq from Miami and I recently joined to know more about DIYs. I intend to buy cmoy amp parts on Friday and build it as my first DIY project. If anyone can suggest me a good soldering iron and other things to buy, I'm all ears!

I'm really really eager to know how to recable and as well as build simple amps. Hopefully someday I can build my own O2/ODAC setup and recable my own headphones. :(

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Welcome!
You will love it here... Lots of People with the same interests and they want to help you to get your project to completion. :)

As for a good iron, don't skimp. Buy the very best you can afford. A good iron will last the rest of your life. A temp controlled Hakko or Weller soldering station is a good place to look

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi thanks guys :) I'm going DIY shopping maybe tomorrow if I get my money... I'm excited^^. As for a good soldering iron, how much is considered "good"?

Hello Jacq - and Welcome to diyAudio!!!! :D:D:D

Take a look at this link: Select a Soldering Iron

Also: there are many videos about how to solder on Youtube that you might want to take a look at to see what all is involved.

Here are a couple photos of my solder work bench - bear in mind that a lot of the pieces were purchased as I went along and could afford them.

Attachments

• Work Area with tools March 2009 sm IMG_0157.JPG
    Work Area with tools March 2009 sm IMG_0157.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Worklamp March 2009 sm IMG_0159.JPG
    Worklamp March 2009 sm IMG_0159.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 38
Agh sorry for all the Q's is it advisable to just get a used one?
Lol wow I just realized how lost I am. How do I begin? Buy a soldering station kit and then get some solder? Where do I go from there :(? I'm not quite sure which place to begin on the forum...

I plan to learn on how to make a CMoy amp and then also learn how to recable. I also would like to replace the RCA cable on my turntable... :(

Last edited:
Jaccq I am in south florida, look me up sometime I am just as lost as you are ha! And I can solder an XLR cable or a TRS cable no problemo, however I totally clueless, regarding what goes into soldering a board. I am definitely interested in learning as well :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.