Greetings from Sweden!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

I must confess to being a diy nut (or just any kind of nut;).
Well I haven't really built much audio gear yet, but i do have some wild ideas that might just work in reality too, and not just in my mind...

Besides being into all kinds of audio stuff, I've been playing bass and guitar in local bands since i was fourteen. I do tech support for a translation firm for a living, but I studied to be a programmer.

Recently i've been trying to build a small melting furnace to cast aluminium (I said i was a nut didn't i?). All it got me so far was a piece of really distorted aluminium, some cosy orange-red glow and a broken fuse...

I'm working on version 2.0 of the furnace, with some actual regulation built in, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Most of my diy schemes seem to come from not beeing satisfied with what you can get in your average store (if you really want cider with 13 or so % alcohol, there's really no choice but to DIY).
And half the fun is to plan and tweak the stuff to suit your taste just right, isn't it?

I can't say i will be adding much knowledge about audio engineering around here, I know there are many people around here much better at that stuff than me. But for what it's worth, i think i can contribute some wild ideas, i never seem to run out of those...

Happy soldering!

/Andreas

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Hello nuppe, just in case you should become confused, the forum has non-Scandinavians too. Tell us more about the cider and the cast aluminium. I have a (very) small cider press, and I occasionally brew ciider. The first time I did so, we tasted the result and disappointedly agreed that it was nice apple juice, but then we had another pint...

A rant about cider...

Tjenare! / Hi everyone!

Glad to see all the scandinavians here! And a british cider enthusiast too, cool!

Well, about the cider, by the end of last summer, me and one of my pals where kind of bored, trying to think of something to do.
I don't know where we got the idea, but we decided to make some cider...

We got some apples (Braeburns from new Zeeland i think they were) and started mashing. I dont have the luxury of a cider press yet, but i'm thinking of building one...

We wanted to add as little to the juice as possible, so we let the natural yeast have it's way. We added alot of sugar tho, as we were aiming to make cider with some punch, hehe:devilr: .

After alot of waiting we finally got to pour the batch into bottles.
(we spent a lot of time emptying Grolsch-bottles :drink:, this cider making bussiness has it's advantages...)

Anyway, the cider came out quite alright, there's a bit off an odd sidetaste (don't know if there's an english word for "bismak", like aftertaste, but not quite) and it's a bit too sweet.

The good thing is it has really nice bubbles, like champagne, and the weird taste goes away after about three mouthfulls. By then it gets really good actually (and no, it's not just the alcohol talking...)

You feel the warm fuzziness in your cheeks after only about half a liter, so i guess it's strong enough.
The funny thing is, it doesn't really taste much alcohol, but by the way you walk after two bottles of this stuff, i can assure you it's definitely over 10%.

(phew, i thought i was going to post just a couple of lines, that could have easily turned into a novel...)

I'll have to get back to you on the molten aluiminium, but this is were most of my inspiration for the furnace came from: http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/

/Andreas

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Cider makers who know what they are doing use the natural yeast on the skins of the apples, but it sometimes goes wrong. I've used champagne yeast with great success. I chopped the apples by putting them in a (new) dustbin, and chopped them with a spade (wash the spade first!). After crushing (I used Bramley cooking apples), the first fermentation was for two days in a normal brewing bucket with a heater and wrapped in a sleeping bag to help keep it warm and keep the air-borne yeasts out. Second fermentation was in a small barrel, with a few spoons of added sugar (about a teaspoon per litre). After a few weeks, decant into bottles, and add a teaspoon of sugar for the final fermentation which clears it and gives it some fizz. Tastes exactly like apple juice (a child would drink it), and it's only when you realise that you'd like another that you know you have cider. After three pints, lying on the floor seems quite sensible!

I'm guessing, but perhaps the word you are looking for is "tang"? (Bismak) If it's too sweet, it's because you haven't converted all the sugar to alcohol. Champagne yeast will solve that problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.